Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

OK, this is better organized

WSinc
New Contributor I

I attached the complete program AND the data file it is supposed to be able to read.

Used the DRAG and DROP, but I cannot tell if it is right.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I give up - you have spread your coding error complaints across too many threads for me to keep up with. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WSinc
New Contributor I

Is there any way to tell if the two items I attached actually DID GET attached ?

This is clueless - - - 

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I input the file name, and give an access method of STREAM.

It opens the file OK, but when it tried to read 1 record, I get an end of file error

message.

Since there are 236K bytes of info in the file, I should be able able to read just one record, right? At that point I dont know what the record structure is, if it even HAS one.

anyway, I know for sure I am actually pointing to the file I want to read, since the OPEN did OK with no error message.

0 Kudos
GVautier
New Contributor II

You can find easily the midi file format.

For example here

http://www.fileformat.info/format/midi/corion.htm

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Bill, you wrote:

I input the file name, and give an access method of STREAM.

It opens the file OK, but when it tried to read 1 record, I get an end of file error

message.

You cannot have it both ways. When you open a file for stream access, you are taking complete responsibility for knowing and managing the structure and organization of the bytes within the file. As far as the Fortran I/O system is concerned, it is as if the file has no structure.

Secondly, if a file has been opened for stream access and the very first read causes EOF to occur, that signifies that you attempted to read more bytes than were present in the file.

In particular, if you opened a file for stream access and did not specify STATUS='OLD' and the file did not previously exist in the directory in which the OPEN was attempted,  a new zero length file would have been created, and there was therefore nothing yet in it to read, causing an EOF.  In other words, attempting to retrieve even one byte from a zero length file will cause EOF.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

If the items got attached, links to them would show. They don't. As I have written before, when you do the drag and drop, be sure to drop on this box:

Annotation 2020-07-12 133423.png

and NOT on the message text box. It can be tricky as I found that when you start the drag, the screen scrolls a bit and moves the text box to the center.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Maybe I am getting a different choice than when you log on, but I was under the impression that I can see the entire path, so I can verify the path is the same as the file I am trying to access ? The file OPEN would fail if it was off, right ? It confirms that I acctually am pointng where I want.

anyway, If I change the path of the file name, I get a different result, so I am fairly confident the path name is correct.

Plus, if I change the file name to give a different result, I get the file not found open error.

Can you see from the GETWD output I sent you, that path name that has 8 folders in it? That path name should be correct, right ?

Maybe there is a way to list the other files within the path name?

Can you use TEAM VIEWER there ?

Would INTEL lie to me about the path name ? actually, I only have one choice, namely sending files, and thats the DRAG and DROP. I dont see another way to do it, unless you can tell me how.  I am only going by the choices I see.

Anyway, I think you MAY have a different set of choices, and that why we have trouble connecting here. Can we have a verbal phone conversation ?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I give up - you have spread your coding error complaints across too many threads for me to keep up with. 

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I had to change the title to make it easier to follow.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I am only trying to figure out how to do this properly

so if I am trying the wrong approach, it would be a "coding error." ? ?

I have tried several approaches.

Maybe there is NO correct approach ? ?

Others seem even more confused - - - - -

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Others are confused because you withhold information and spread your problem across multiple threads, blame Intel for your failure to read and comprehend the basic documentation for the features you're using, and seem to want others to read your mind. We ask you for specific information, you just repeat the same incomplete bits and pieces you posted earlier, often in a new thread.

What I have come to expect from your posts is 1) No reproducible example, 2) Unsupported claims that something "doesn't work" and "Don't they test this?", 3) Misleading descriptions of what you are trying to do, 4) Lack of any effort to diagnose the problem yourself. 

If you genuinely want help here, and you seem to need it a lot, you need to meet us at least half-way.