Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28701 Discussions

Option "--sort-section" passed by Ifort can not work fine with ld

cesarzinn
Beginner
To any Intel employee,

Ifort compiler (9.0) passes (in my x86-64 platform, RHEL4-update2 system) to linker ld (2.15.92) a serie of implicit parameters. Some of them can not be understood by ld (see an example in the last reply (last lines) of section: Can ifort 9.0 work with ld linker of Red Hat Enterprise 4????).

Specificaly, the parameters are:

"--sort-section " and I believe "name" (???)

I have been trying to modify this implicit parameters to avoid a problem with the "--sort-section" option during the link process but this is not as simple as I expect.
Anyone knows how???

Is this a problem of Intel soft ? or it comes from the ld of RHEL4?

The Intel fortran compiler 7.0 does not pass this parameter to ld in x86 platforms, so I can compile my programs fine.

THANKS

Message Edited by cesarzinn on 12-13-2005 08:19 AM

Message Edited by cesarzinn on 12-13-2005 08:53 AM

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

Hi -

We recently fixed this, but it's not yet available in a kit.

The problem is provoked by the LANG environment variable being set to some (but not all) native languages.

Until the fix is available, another customer has found you can work around it by setting LANG=C in the ifort script.

Sorry for the inconvenience -

- Lorri

0 Kudos
cesarzinn
Beginner
It works!!!

Many thanks in deed. You make me a grate favour. I ve trying to fix the problem in different soft forums since 8 weeks ago or so.

I was little exhausted.

Cheers.
0 Kudos
jorge_luis
Beginner
Well, i have found another way to fix that.

I use Slackware Linux 10.2 and had the same problem. I searched in google and found that the parameter "--sort-section name" is new to gnu-ld.

The distro i use ships binutils 2.15.92.0.2 (the package that contains ld). So i downloaded a newer version of binutils from ftp://ftp.gnu.org and compiled it

$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/binutils
$ make
# make install

then i changed the original ld with the new (from binutils 2.16.1)

# mv /usr/bin/ld /usr/bin/ld.old
# ln -s /opt/binutils/bin/ld /usr/bin/ld

That fix the problem.

As i see, the system requirements sould say that:
* binutils 2.15.94.0.1 or higher (new parameter "--sort-section name" required)

Message Edited by jorge_luis on 02-10-2006 11:40 AM

0 Kudos
quesada
Beginner
Thanks a lot to all of you. After spending the full evening, I found this thread ....and the problem is solved (I applied the jorge_luis's recipe).

Jose Manuel
0 Kudos