Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

Parameterized derived type: problem with ASSOCIATE construct.

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II
module m

implicit none

private

type, public :: t(n)
      private
      integer, len :: n = 1
      integer :: m_a(n)
   end type t

public :: init 

contains

subroutine init(this)

type(t(*)), intent(inout) :: this

asc: associate ( a => this%m_a )

a = 1

end associate asc

print *, " with associate: t%a = ", this%m_a

return

end subroutine init

end module m
program p

use m, only : t, init

type(t(n=2)) :: foo

call init(foo)

stop

end program p

Upon execution with either IA-32 or Intel(R) 64 compiler version:

with associate: t%a =  0 0
Press any key to continue . . .

0 Kudos
8 Replies
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Same issue exists with a parameterized derived type with a type-bound procedure:

module m

implicit none

private

type, public :: t(n)
      private
      integer, len :: n = 1
      integer :: m_a(n)
   contains
      private
      procedure, pass(this), public :: init => init_t
   end type t

contains

subroutine init_t(this)

class(t(*)), intent(inout) :: this

asc: associate ( a => this%m_a )

a = 1

end associate asc

print *, " with associate: t%a = ", this%m_a

return

end subroutine init_t

end module m
program p

use m, only : t

type(t(n=2)) :: foo

call foo%init()

stop

end program p

with associate: t%a =  0 0
Press any key to continue . . .

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This may be one we've already seen, but I'll check it out on Monday.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I must say I do not use PDTs at the moment but can see that have some useful function. I have to say FortranFan you are doing a fantastic job in giving PDTs (and other new features) in Ifort a severe beasting and perhaps in a release or two's time I might risk dipping my toes in the water when the sharks have been cleared out.  :-)

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

app4619 wrote:

I must say I do not use PDTs at the moment but can see that have some useful function. I have to say FortranFan you are doing a fantastic job in giving PDTs (and other new features) in Ifort a severe beasting and perhaps in a release or two's time I might risk dipping my toes in the water when the sharks have been cleared out.  :-)

Thanks, I surely hope Intel doesn't mind all the posts that lead to Steve et al. having to submit tracking incidents! :-)

Re: your plan to wait until the bugs are ironed out, with PDTs yes there are a lot of issues in the current compiler version, so one has no option but to wait for a robust implementation.  But with the other features in Fortran 2003 and 2008 standards, if you do intent to use them in the near future in new code or in upgrade of your existing code, it may makes sense to start dabbling now and put together small cases that mimic your code design patterns.  I've found this firms up my understanding while also identifying any compiler issues earlier on in the code development cycle.

Now with PDTs, I do think they hold a lot of value and Intel can no sooner improve their implementation for users to start appreciating the benefits.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The developers do suggest that I go on vacation more often, though this just bunches up the reports.... We do appreciate the bug reports and are interested in strengthening the PDT support as soon as we can. We have already made great strides, thanks to past reports from you and others.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Issue ID is DPD200367383.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Steve, you deserve all the vacation you desire!  But our hope is you only "hang up your boots" after all the computing is done and the world is in nirvana!! :-))

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Well, this year you'll be without me for quite a bit, so get those bugs in early. (My colleagues will try to fill in...)

0 Kudos