Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Pentium M Equivalent to Pentium 4?

durisinm
Novice
I will soon be recompiling an application with CVF 6.6B so that it will run on a new set of computers that my company is bringing in. They are IBM T40 laptops running Windows XP Pro. They will have Pentium M processors, which I haven't heard of before. My IS department says that the Pentium M is roughly equivalent to a Pentium 4.

CVF has a couple of compilation optimization options, /architecture and /tune, that are based on the processor type. I may use them when I recompile this application, but Pentium M isn't in the list of CPUs mentioned by the documentation for these options. Does anyone know if the CPU instructions that these options make the compiler put into the executable file are the same for a Pentium M and a Pentium 4?

Mike
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The Intel 7.1 Compiler Release Notes specifically recommend the P4 options for the Pentium M. If you cared to experiment, you could test the P3 options, since CVF doesn't use any SSE2 instructions anyway, and you might find the CVF code for P3 more efficient. I doubt that CVF has had the benefit of any processor-dependent optimizations since the Pentium-M was announced. Pentium-M should run well with code generated either for P3 or P4. It should not have the performance limitations of early P4 processors when faced with integer shift, multiply, or prefetch, but it has hardware prefetch like a P4.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I agree with Tim - use the P4 setting for Pentium M.

Steve
0 Kudos