Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Portability of project files

uszla
Beginner
I have a vfproj file I've just created using Visual Studio 2005 & Intel Fortran 10.1

I'd like to be able to distribute & share this project file, but my collaborators don't all have the same version of VS, nor of Intel Fortran.

How portable is the vfproj file? Can I do anything to it to make it more portable?

(I'd also like to be able to share it with other VS-using programmers who don't have Intel; eg who are using PGI/Lahey etc - but I don't suppose that is achievable. I'd be very grateful for information on how to do so, though.)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
In general .vfproj files are portable to other IVF users with the same or later version, as long as you don't have absolute file paths in them. PGI and Lahey use their own, incompatible project systems.

Open the .vfproj file in Notepad and look to see if there are absolute paths anywhere. Relative paths (..foldername , etc.) are fine.
0 Kudos
uszla
Beginner
Oh I've fixed all the relative paths already, thanks. What I'm concerned about is:

".vfproj files are portable to other IVF users with the same or later version"

Since I'm using 10.1, which is the latest, does that mean nobody with any other version of ifort will be able to use my project file?

If so, can I simply get hold of an older version of ifort (8.x seems to be the oldest that anyone I've spoken is still using) and regenerate the project file from that?

Also - does the version of VS matter? I work with people who still use VS2003.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Version 9.1 should work, but probably not earlier versions. The VS version is not important. However, there is an issue we know of where a version 10.x project needs to have the /c option added under Additional Options for Fortran when used with version 9.1.
0 Kudos