Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Possible compiler bug

sarai
Beginner

Hi,

while compiling a program I am working on, I get the following error:

"...catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised**..."

The code compiles with both gfortran 9 and 10. My issue is that I cannot locate the cause of the error.

I am compiling with the latest ifort compiler available through oneAPI for mac. But I have also tried with previous versions of the compiler, with the same result.

I have 'reduced' the code to a minimal (nonsensical) example  that triggers the error message.  This example also compiles with the gnu compilers.

Compiler flags: -warn all -stand f18 -i8

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Internal compiler error is ALWAYS a compiler bug, regardless of the validity of the source.

0 Kudos
sarai
Beginner

Is there a way to identify what triggers the bug?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

There is no 'easy' way to find the cause. One strategy is to progressively add or remove the compiler options. The presence of some specific option is often a trigger  "-warn all" covers a number of option BTW.

The other option is to pair back the code (which it seems you have worked on) to create a minimalist reproducer.  This can be very time consuming.

sarai
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, even without any of the compler flags,  encounter the error.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Then remove sections of code in a search pattern. Use !dir$ IF(.FALSE.) / !dir$ END IF to encapsulate code removed. e.g. the code part of the suspected procedure. When you locate the offending procedure, move the !dir$ IF(.FALSE.) down and/or  !dir$ END IF up while marking the former location(s) with comment. Eventually you will narrow in on the problem section of code.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The specific line that triggers the error is:

call output%printf()

in classA.F90. The Intel compiler developers would have to figure out why. I did note that if I commented out that line, the program still failed to build with other "normal" errors, probably caused by the code reduction - I have not investigated those.

0 Kudos
sarai
Beginner

Thanks! I also notice that moving the use  statement

use global_out, only: output

to the routine that calls

call output%printf()

also eliminates the issue. I have attached a new set of files that will compile when the offending line is commented out.

0 Kudos