Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28593 Discussions

Prepare code to go from 32-bit IFORT to 64-bit IFX

sindizzy
New Contributor I

So I've read the porting guide and that seems to address only the compile switches. Is there a guide on best practices to prepare the actual code to go from 32-bit to 64-bit?

I've read on some of the posts that variables set with default type will be different between the two compilers. If so are there guidelines on how to prepare the code for eventual porting from 32 to 64 bit? Anything else I should start to look at?

Edit: I just remembered that some of the compile switches will take care of the defaults. So I guess I should be good...(I think) unless anyone has other suggestions.

sindizzy_0-1719684182248.png

sindizzy_1-1719684228279.png

AGP

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sindizzy
New Contributor I

I don't think I've ever used that before but I'll look at the documentation

Thanks for the example!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III
Well other than setting a 64 but configuration there are no other settings to worry about. Set up a project and compile it to see what errors you get. The only problems will be anything that holds a memory address, so any windows handle for example which neet to be 64 bit integer.
0 Kudos
sindizzy
New Contributor I

We do use QuickWin but only to show progress. Other than that we dont use anything Window related even shelling out other programs. All our processes are done through memory.

0 Kudos
sindizzy
New Contributor I

One thing I did  notice is that the 64-bit project properties are different than my 32-bit project. So I think either the prior developer -OR- I assumed they would be copied over. I will have to spend some time making sure all my options are the same in VS for 32-bit vs 64-bit.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The problems one generally encounters relate to coding assumptions that happen to work in 32-bit but will fail in 64-bit.

For example, a Windows handle in 32-bit application is 32-bits and you may have gotten away with interchanging handle with integer. Same with pointers. If your 32-bit code did not use the (library module) user defined types (e.g. HANDLE, C_PTR, etc...), then expect your program to fail.

Most of these errors can be caught with /warn:interfaces

Jim Dempsey

sindizzy
New Contributor I

Thanks Jim,

The code I inherited is for the most part F77 based so not a whole lot to do with window handles. Although we do use QuickWin for displaying progress. I'll take a look to see if that requires any modification.

Now pointers, the code seems to be made up of fairly straightforward calculation routines. No pointers from my initial review but I'll run through it again.

However, thanks for the  /warn:interfaces tip as right now its set to /warn:none

AGP

0 Kudos
sindizzy
New Contributor I

So I do have a couple of places i use windows handles like the one below. As you sated the result can be 32-bit or 64-bit depending on the OS that's running it. But having trouble finding a good example of how to define it as a HANDLE.

hwndChl = GETHWNDQQ(6) ! !this gets the windows handle for the child window. standard units are stdin=5, stdout=6, and stderr=0.

warning #6075: The data type of the actual argument does not match the definition. [HWNDCHL]

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I'd suggest you make a full run in Debug mode with all runtime diagnostics enabled.

If the runtime is too long, create a new project, based on Debug, call it DebugFast, then after a reasonable time of a test run, without errors, if you terminated the test before completion (taking too long), stop the run, and in the solution explorer, locate the source file that is contributing the most CPU time. Right-click on that file, select Properties, then change the optimization level to maximum speed. Repeat test.

If necessary, you can repeat adding file optimizations.

Once you shake out any/all runtime errors (if any), then you can use the Release build.

FWIW I generally have several (or more) configurations:

Debug

DebugFast

DebugFastOpenMP

Release

ReleaseOpenMp

For example, DebugFastOpenMP has the configuration default optimization as fastest, but with the source file under test/revision set to no optimizations (with or without runtime checks as the case may reqire).

Jim Dempsey

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
subroutine foo
  use ifwinty
  implicit none
  integer(HANDLE) :: hSomething

ifwinty == Intel Fortran Windows Types

Jim Dempsey

sindizzy
New Contributor I

I don't think I've ever used that before but I'll look at the documentation

Thanks for the example!

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III

Of course if you are not really using  the windows API you could avoid reliance on  using proprietary Intel modules using standard portable Fortran.

use, intrinsic :: ISO_C_BINDING, only: C_INTPTR_T
    integer(C_INTPTR_T) :: HhandleThing
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

ifwinty, and some of the other Windows related modules define integer parameters (like that for HANDLE), while other Windows function arguments take TYPE. These will require

type(whatever) :: something

If you write your own interfaces, please consult the various .f90 files in the compiler installation folder for the function of interest .OR. a function taking similar arguments. Use that as a guide if you need to write your own interface.

If your interfaces are calling C functions, include the BIND(C) or BIND(C, NAME="TheNameYouWantHere")

Note, "pointer" in Fortran is not the same as "*" in C/C++.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos