Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Problem Integrating "parallel_studio_xe_2016.1.051" with Visual Studio 2015

Michael7
Beginner

I installed Visual Studio 2015 and then the Composer XE 2016 Update 1. When I tried to run the psxevars.bat I get the error: Visual Studio 2010, 2012, 2013 or 2015 not found in the system. I checked the folder of Visual Studio 2015 and I have noticed that the Microsoft Installer created a folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0. What could be the problem? I can start the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 with no problem. Any help to get me started will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The VS installation path is normal.  Did you choose an eligible version of VS? (Community, Pro,... according to the release notes?  Normally (not with a trial license), the installer would ask you to install the SDK prerequisites for Visual Studio Shell if you had an ineligible VS such as Express.

In the current VS2015 install options menu (it has changed several times lately) you would select the option to install C++ support and the windows kits 10 10240 SDK.

The installed setup invocation shortcut for psxe should look like

C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /E:ON /V:ON /K ""C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.1.146\windows\bin\ipsxe-comp-vars.bat" intel64 vs2015"

Does the installed shortcut work?

0 Kudos
g_f_
Beginner

Hello Michael,

As far as I know, there is no need for you to run the batch file.  I have been using PSXE 2015 and 2016 without it.

PSXE 2016 will be integrated into VS 2015 during the installation.  No extra action required.

To validate that: please right click on project and look at the end of the drop down for Intel options... From there you should have some pleasure. 

best regards,

G

0 Kudos
Michael7
Beginner

The Visual Studio installer I used is the most recent one. I just purchased it. It never asked me during the installation for C++ support and at the very end after almost two hours it indicated some kind of failure but I ignored it. I am wondering if I should uninstall and reinstall the 2015 Studio. By the way I started the 2015 studio and everything seemed normal. I even saw the options there for the Intel Compiler.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

With VS 2015 Community edition, the installer will not install the C/C++ support by default. You have to look at the options and select C++ before letting the installation proceed. At this time you could also deselect many packages that you will not need for building Fortran projects.

The VS 2015 Profession edition may have similar requirements during installation. After installing VS 2015 and before installing Parallel Studio, you could test whether you can build a simple C/C++ program using Visual Studio.

0 Kudos
Michael7
Beginner

From the comments posted, I must conclude that something went wrong with the installation. The version I purchased today from the Microsoft Software store was the 2015 Professional. It never gave me the option to select C++ support during the installation and at the very end indicated some type of failure. Anyway, I tried to build a simple case and I got the error form the Linker that it cannot find the rc.exe.

At this stage most likely I will uninstall VS 2015 and install an earlier version perhaps 2012 which I also bought long ago and never used and see what happens. Thanks to everybody for their help and comments

Happy Holidays

Michael

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Microsoft recently straightened out some of the problems with VS2015, if you care to play along.  Right click on it and Modify in the add/remove programs menu, agree to update the installer menu if it so suggests, and select the C++ and SDK 10240 options. 

When using ifort without C or C++, it makes little difference which of the supported VS or shell versions you choose (at least I hope that Microsoft has stopped breaking VS2015 installations by their updates).

As far as C++ code is concerned, VS2012 supports AVX128 but not AVX256 nor AVX2 auto-vectorization.  VS2015 is best for AVX2 (again, this affects only code which is compiled within VS, not when using Intel compilers).  VS2015 also is the first to support much of C99 and C++14 (the latter affecting Intel C++ as well).

0 Kudos
Michael7
Beginner

Tim

Thank you so very much. Your suggestion did the trick. Everything is working perfectly now. I really appreciate your clever insight. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Michael

0 Kudos