Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Problem on work with Abaqus VUHARD job: results varies from Abaqus+Fortran compiler combinations.

elise
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner of using Intel Fortran Compiler combined with Abaqus to run simulations with user subroutine. I've hit with a problem while running a job with user subroutine and I wish to get some advice from here since I notice there were several posts and has some experts with Abaqus experience.

The user subroutine I used is VUHARD, I tried to use the same input file and Fortran code on 3 different combinations of Intel Fortran Compiler+Abaqus: 1) Abaqus 6.14+unknown version of compiler on a computing cluster, 2) Abaqus 2019+IFC2017 on a PC with windows 10 3) Abaqus 2020+IFC 2019 on a desktop with windows 10. Only the results from the 1) case is correct and 2) & 3) turned out pretty weird results, the state variable defined in Fortran code is not updated.

I'm seeking some advice on addressing the probable reason raised this problem, is it because of the incompatibility between Abaqus+IFC? 

Thanks a lot,

Qi

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Except for a couple of members of this forum, we are neither users of Abaqus nor do we have access to Abaqus. In fact, the question of compatibility between specific versions of Abaqus and Intel Fortran is rather meaningless. Intel Fortran does not depend on Abaqus in any technical sense, but provides several documented interfaces and calling conventions that an Abaqus user (or, for that matter, the users of any package that calls Fortran DLLs) may use. 

My guess as to an answer is, no, there no incompatibility. What is likely is that your "VUHARD job" contains buggy code or that there is a defect in the way in which you built a DLL from Fortran source for Abaqus to use. Such questions are best discussed in an Abaqus user group, unless you can show us the Fortran code and describe how you compiled and linked it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Except for a couple of members of this forum, we are neither users of Abaqus nor do we have access to Abaqus. In fact, the question of compatibility between specific versions of Abaqus and Intel Fortran is rather meaningless. Intel Fortran does not depend on Abaqus in any technical sense, but provides several documented interfaces and calling conventions that an Abaqus user (or, for that matter, the users of any package that calls Fortran DLLs) may use. 

My guess as to an answer is, no, there no incompatibility. What is likely is that your "VUHARD job" contains buggy code or that there is a defect in the way in which you built a DLL from Fortran source for Abaqus to use. Such questions are best discussed in an Abaqus user group, unless you can show us the Fortran code and describe how you compiled and linked it.

0 Kudos
elise
Beginner

Hi mecej4,

Thanks for your reply! It's good to know that this issue is not raised by any compatibility side, because I really tried several different combinations in the past weeks, and now can focus on the subroutine code side. : )

0 Kudos