Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28633 Discussions

Problem when migrating from CVF to IVF

Marc_Grodent
Beginner
Hi,

I'm trying to convert my old CVF projects (mainly console applications written under CVF Professional Edition 6.6.0) to IVF(IVF Studio XE 2011 for Windows). The procedure isclearly described in http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/migrating-from-compaq-visual-fortran/. However, after right-clicking on the workspace's .DSW file and selecting Open With "Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector", the following message is displayed: "The project file '***.dsp' has been corrupted and cannot be opened".The project runs perfectly under CVF, so I do not understand what might cause the problem. I've also tried with other CVF projects, but the same message occurs.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Marc
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We have had a number of customers report this problem, but each time they send us the .dsp/.dsw files they are using, the projects convert fine for us, so we are mystified as to what causes this.

My usual advice is to just create a new project and add your files to it. If you have an especially complex project or workspace, put the .dsw and .dsp files in a ZIP archive and attach them to a reply here. I'll convert them for you (or, hopefully, will see the error myself.)
0 Kudos
Marc_Grodent
Beginner
Thanks for your answer.
I have many complex CVF projects to convert to IVF, so I was hoping to avoid the process of creating new ones. I have attached the .dsw and .dsp files of a very simple project (1 Fortran file, 1 Include file and an external library [NAG]). Maybe you'll see an error somewhere...
0 Kudos
jeremy_h
New Contributor I
If you end up having to migrate these the hard way, it's possible that a GUI automation tool can help you. I used a free tool call AutoIt (autoitscript.com) to help me migrate hundreds of CVF projects. You write a script in a language that looks a bit like VB, and use it to select windows, send keystrokes etc.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Do you have Microsoft Visual C++ installed in your newer Visual Studio? That is needed for project conversion.
0 Kudos
Marc_Grodent
Beginner
No, only Fortran is installed.
Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ok. If you are using the Visual Studio Shell from the Fortran product, CVF project conversion is not supported.
0 Kudos
starbskz
Beginner
Ok. If you are using the Visual Studio Shell from the Fortran product, CVF project conversion is not supported.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you mean the evaluation VS you get from Microsoft, yes, it is.
0 Kudos
starbskz
Beginner

0 Kudos
starbskz
Beginner
Quoting starbskz

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You will have to uninstall and reinstall Fortran if you have added VS2010.

Also, I suggest that it is easier to read your replies if you enter your text in the Description area rather than "Post Title".
0 Kudos
starbskz
Beginner
Quoting starbskz

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
starbskz, I don't see any new text in your reply. Please type in the Description post area.
0 Kudos
starbskz
Beginner
Quoting starbskz

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
starbskz, please do not use the quote button. Just click Reply and add your text. I can't see what else you are saying.
0 Kudos
starbskz
Beginner
Quoting starbskz

0 Kudos
Marc_Grodent
Beginner
Would CVF project conversion be supported if I use the Intel Parallel Studio XE for Windows?
I installed the Intel Fortran Studio XE as an evaluation software, so it's still time to make theappropriate choice...

I use a static numerical library from NAG in many of my CVF projects. Is it still supported by theIntel Visual Fortran or is itnecessary togo for an update?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
starbskz
Beginner

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Marc, Intel Parallel Studio XE would not change this - in order to do CVF project conversion one must have the Microsoft Visual C++ "project environment" installed. This is not available if you are using Visual Studio Shell and Microsoft has chosen to not license that code. The other thing you miss is the resource editor, though there is a freeware alternative to that.

You will probably need to obtain a new version of the NAG library that is compatible with Intel Fortran. I believe that NAG, like IMSL, is largely written in Fortran and your existing library would have been compiled with CVF. That would make it incompatible with Intel Visual Fortran. I suggest that you check with NAG on this issue.
0 Kudos
Marc_Grodent
Beginner
Steve, thanks for these explanations.

What version of Microsoft Visual C++ would be required in order to allow CVF project conversion?

Could you please explain what you mean by 'resource editor'? Is it still required if MS Visual C++ is installed?
0 Kudos