Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Problems installing Parallel Studio XE 2016

Gerdes_Gerhard_J
Beginner

Hi Steve,

after having received the Intel information on an new release, I tried to install Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016. The installation hasn't been successful and came up with some messages, depicted in the attached file.

Also the installation of the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 8.1 has been unsuccessful. Several of the required files could not be found by the installer, and even the search for the files in the internet was only partialy successful or the found files were simply deneid by Windows as beeing not vaild.

Is there a way to solve this while not procuring a full VS version?

Thanks

Gerd

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The second message box that you attached as an image explains probably what happened.

The installer did not find the SDK for VS 2013 Shell, and told you to abandon the IFort install, install the SDK and then restart the IFort install. It specifically says "If you select 'Next', Intel Visual Fortran Compiler will be installed but will not work." You probably selected 'Next' and are now seeing the consequences.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I saw this situation myself recently. It wasn't supposed to do that. I am a bit puzzled that you couldn't install the Windows SDK, though - did you follow the link from the Parallel Studio install message?

What was supposed to happen was that VS2010 Shell from earlier Fortran installs would be recognized as a supported VS and it would not have tried to install VS2013 Shell. I will report that to the developers.

0 Kudos
Gerdes_Gerhard_J
Beginner

Thanks a lot Steve,

for your very prompt support. Indeed, I followed the link in your post for the SDK installation and also the guideline given on https://software.intel.com/en-us/vs2013shell-windowssdk. I tried it several times this morning – it didn’t work. But now in the evening, from home, I could run the installer successfully after again downloading the complete SDK 8.1 data set.

The installation of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 was now successfully completed.

0 Kudos
Theodore_Y_
Beginner

I received the same installation error message ( Visual Studio is missing). 

I have Win 7 SP1 and was running VS 2010.

I removed VS 2010 and tried reloading  Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 and the same installation error occurred.

Do I need to load SDK 8.1 on my system to use  Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Loading the SDK depends on your intention to use the Visual Studio 2013 Shell provided with Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016. If you are not planning to use the VS 2013 Shell but another pre-existing supported Microsoft Visual Studio version then the SDK is not needed.

If you had VS 2010 installed prior to launching the PSXE 2016 installation, then it is not expected that you would receive the prerequisite summary since that version is supported.

If you intend to use the Visual Studio 2013 Shell included with PSXE 2016 and you are facing the prerequisite notification about requiring this SDK, then please exit the PSXE 2016 installation (you might want to click on the article noted in the summary notice first), then complete the Windows SDK for Windows 8.1 installation instructions as stipulated in the prerequisite summary article, and then restart the PSXE 2016 installation.

0 Kudos
van_l_
Beginner
This comment has been moved to its own thread
0 Kudos