Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Project Directory

Leon_C_
Beginner

When a new project, myproj, is created, VS automatically generates a new sub-directory \myproj\ under the directory which I specify. This sub-directory houses the project file, myproj.vfproj. My question is: how can I change the settings so that \myproj\ will not be generated and myproj.vfproj will be placed in the directory I provide. Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

In the New Project dialog, uncheck the box "Create directory for solution". This will put the solution and project in the same folder. However, Visual Studio will not allow creating a solution or project in a directory that isn't empty.

0 Kudos
Leon_C_
Beginner

Thank you, Steve, for your quick response. Even if the directory I specify (c:\temp\test\) is empty, VS will still create a new sub-directory under \test\ with the same name as the project name. It seems there isn't a way to avoid creating a sub-directory with the project name.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The problem is that Visual Studio will ALWAYS create a new directory for the solution and project under the place you say for Location. The option I mentioned stops it from creating yet another level of directory for the project. I don't know of a way to do what you want other than to let it create the directory and then move the files to where you want them. I will comment that sharing project intermediate folders is a bad idea, if you were considering that. If it's just that you don't like the name of the folder, you can rename it later.

0 Kudos
Leon_C_
Beginner

Thanks again, Steve. I will change the directory name if I have to. Have a good weekend!

0 Kudos