cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Project settings for the sample program: C_calls_Fortran

Jump to solution

I successfully build the solution with the Intel supplied sample few days ago. I played around with Visual Studio 207 for few days attempting create the same project/solution from scratch. In the process I seemed to mess up the projects settings. Even when I start from a fresh copy of the sample folder, I am getting Linker errors.

The attached file includes the output from the Visual Studio and also screen captures from VS 2017 property sheets for the VC++ directories and Linker. I would appreciate it if anyone can point out the reason for the error messages.

Thanks in advance.

I. Konuk

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Black Belt

The configuration described

Jump to solution

The configuration described is in effect for all C++ projects in that version of Visual Studio. You don't need to repeat it. 

What you WILL have to do is explicitly add your Fortran library to the C++ project's list of libraries to search (or add the .lib as if it were a source file). Microsoft made a change a couple of versions ago where C++ projects no longer automatically link in libraries of non-C++ dependent projects.

You'll also want to add the Fortran library project as a "dependent project" of the C++ main project.

Fortran calling C++ is a bit easier. You don't need to configure anything special in general. If the C++ project is a static library, it is sufficient to make it a dependent of the Fortran project, but if it is a DLL you'll have to add the DLL's export library explicitly.

--
Steve (aka "Doctor Fortran") - https://stevelionel.com/drfortran

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Black Belt

See https://software.intel

Jump to solution

See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/configuring-visual-studio-for-mixed-language-applications , as explained in the README FIRST that accompanies this sample.

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Steve:

Thank you very much again. I thought I did all that. It looks like I am getting old and tired. I mispelled the entry (missing closing paranthesis in the library macro).

Since I got your attention, may ask if I can export from Visual Studio (Tools > Import & Export) this project (C_calls_Fortran) properties and start a new solution and import it? Or would I manually have to do what you describe in the referenced Web documentation whenever I start a new solution/project with C++ (VC++) calling Fortran?

Second silly question, the web documentation applies to Fortran calling C++, right? 

Thank you again for your generous help.

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Black Belt
1 View

The configuration described

Jump to solution

The configuration described is in effect for all C++ projects in that version of Visual Studio. You don't need to repeat it. 

What you WILL have to do is explicitly add your Fortran library to the C++ project's list of libraries to search (or add the .lib as if it were a source file). Microsoft made a change a couple of versions ago where C++ projects no longer automatically link in libraries of non-C++ dependent projects.

You'll also want to add the Fortran library project as a "dependent project" of the C++ main project.

Fortran calling C++ is a bit easier. You don't need to configure anything special in general. If the C++ project is a static library, it is sufficient to make it a dependent of the Fortran project, but if it is a DLL you'll have to add the DLL's export library explicitly.

--

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Steve:

Thank you indeed very much. 

I have prepared a fairly thorough step by step analysis or instructions for building a mixed language (C++ calling Fortran) based on the sample supplied with the compiler (for my own benefit). I would like to share it with you or any other beginners of course without any warranties. Please let me know if I have made any errors or missed an important step or element.

Bests regards;

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Black Belt

The first part, 1a, describes

Jump to solution

The first part, 1a, describes a one-time configuration that is unrelated to project settings.

It might be helpful to the reader to note that this particular example uses "advanced" C interoperability features from Fortran 2018 and that a lot of mixed Fortran-C programs might just need the basic interoperability features from Fortran 2003.

If I were reading such a document, I'd appreciate an explanation of why each step was needed and what it accomplished. Project Dependencies probably warrants explanation on its own. You might also want to explain why there is a USELIB and USEDLL part of the example.

My concern is that the novice jumping into this may get the impression that mixed-language programs are more complicated than they are in reality.

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Steve:

Thank you very much for your comments. I will work on it. In the meantime, (if there is one around) could you point me to a sample project/solution using interoperability features from FORTRAN 2003?

Regards;

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I tried to build Release

Jump to solution

I tried to build Release version of the programs (C_calls_Fortran) . I am getting a CL error (D8021). The follwing is the output:

1>------ Skipped Rebuild All: Project: README_FIRST, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 
2>------ Rebuild All started: Project: FDLL, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>------ Rebuild All started: Project: FLIB, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'FDLL', configuration 'Release|Win32'.
3>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'FLIB', configuration 'Release|Win32'.
3>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 18.0.3.210 [IA-32]...
3>FSUB.F90
2>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 18.0.3.210 [IA-32]...
2>FSUB.F90
3>Creating library...
2>Linking...
3>
3>Build log written to  "file://C:\AArea\ik18a\MixedPrgmTest2\C_calls_Fortran\FLIB\msvs\Release\BuildLog.htm"
3>FLIB - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
4>------ Rebuild All started: Project: C_USELIB, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
4>cl : Command line error D8021: invalid numeric argument '/wdC4200'
4>Done building project "USELIB.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
2>Creating library Release/FDLL.lib and object Release/FDLL.exp
2>Embedding manifest...
2>
2>Build log written to  "file://C:\AArea\ik18a\MixedPrgmTest2\C_calls_Fortran\FDLL\msvs\Release\BuildLog.htm"
2>FDLL - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
5>------ Rebuild All started: Project: C_USEDLL, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
5>cl : Command line error D8021: invalid numeric argument '/wdC4200'
5>Done building project "USEDLL.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Rebuild All: 2 succeeded, 2 failed, 1 skipped ==========

I am not sure what /wdC4200 mean or originate from? Any help would be appreciated.

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I found the source of the

Jump to solution

I found the source of the problem. I do not know why, but in the project release configuration, there was the entry "C4200" under the "C/C++" configuration on "Advanced" page, "Disable Specific Warnings". I deleted those entries and it all worked. I would appreciate knowing if anybody has a guess where it came from.

Steve: One more item to include on the check list.

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Further experimentation

Jump to solution

Further experimentation indicates that VS 2017 will accept 4200 rather than C4200 in the "Disable Specific Warnings" field. However, it does not stop the warning messages.I think I have seen a message somewhere from Steve stating the same.

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Black Belt

Interesting - I can see that

Jump to solution

Interesting - I can see that is there. Maybe it's left over from my attempt to disable that warning (I created this sample) and I missed a configuration. Good detective skills!

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Steve:

Please find my latest checklist/tutorial based on the Intel C-calls-Fortran sample code. I hope it responds to most of your comments.

Regards;

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Black Belt

That looks pretty good.

Jump to solution

That looks pretty good.

--
0 Kudos