Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Question about the compile time

Nathann_T_
Beginner

Hi,

I have a problem with the time spent on compile, I work with a program with several huge equations and for this reason the intel fortran spent about 9 minuites to compile the program. My question is, there is some options to make the compile faster?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Compiling without optimization may speed things up, but not if the slow processing is in the compiler "front-end". If you are using the latest version and still seeing an issue, I recommend submitting a support request and attach all the sources needed to reproduce the problem.

0 Kudos
Nathann_T_
Beginner

Thank's for the tip Doctor Fortran. 

I compile with -o0 option and the time really reduces, unfortanaly the compiler still spent about 8 minutes to finish the compiilation.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

As Steve mentioned, you may submit a support request (at http://www.intel.com/supporttickets) and attach all the sources needed to reproduce the compile-time issue and our Developers can investigate further.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

>>a program with several huge equations... compile with -o0 option... 8 minutes to finish

8 minutes seems very unusual. Is this one source file?

Some of the posts elsewhere on this forum have determined (on some installations) that the Intel Flex Licensing system caused exceptional delays in compilation. Use google and enter:

flex licensing long compile time site:software.intel.com

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Nathann_T_
Beginner

Jim, I have only one source file. This file have 576 equations each of these with more or less 2000 characters. Today I compiled in a very faster computer, (intel Xeon processor with 64gb) and the time reduces to 3 minutes.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Is this source file auto-generated by some other application?

If not, do you anticipate making a sufficient number of edit and compile sessions worth the time to explore means to reduce the compile time?

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Nathann T. wrote:

Jim, I have only one source file. This file have 576 equations each of these with more or less 2000 characters. Today I compiled in a very faster computer, (intel Xeon processor with 64gb) and the time reduces to 3 minutes.

Less drastic than setting -O0 would be to set -fno-inline-functions, if you don't wish to split the source to enable fast parallel build.

0 Kudos