Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28630 Discussions

RC.exe not found after update to 10.1.021 edition

truelies
Beginner
I uninstalled the previous editon and visual studio 2005 premier edition, then reinstalled the update. But when I run the project, it display "RC.exe not found". How to fix this?
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You uninstalled VS2005 Premier Partner Edition? Shouldn't have done that.

Exit Visual Studio.
Open the folder C:Program FilesIntelDownloadIntelFortranCompiler10.1installs
Run ppe.exe
Run w_ide_p_10.1.021.exe

See how that works.
0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner

How to find ppe.exe?

I am very confuse onwhat's the stepsto do the update. If I install the update directly, the previous edition will still in the compute.

0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner

I uninstalled the VS2005 Premier partner edition, then reinstall in with the 10.1.021 update. Why I can't do this? Thank you!

MADsblionel:
You uninstalled VS2005 Premier Partner Edition? Shouldn't have done that.

Exit Visual Studio.
Open the folder C:Program FilesIntelDownloadIntelFortranCompiler10.1installs
Run ppe.exe
Run w_ide_p_10.1.021.exe

See how that works.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Normally, you should install Visual Studio once. After you have done that, when you want updates, download the file with _novsppe in its name, or the _IA32 or _Intel64 updates. These do not include the 200MB of Visual Studio that do not change between updates.

There is a known problem where if you uninstall VSPPE and then try to reinstall the full product, VSPPE does not reinstall properly. This is why I suggested that you run ppe.exe, which will be in the folder I mentioned. This will properly reinstall VSPPE.

Does this help?
0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner
Thank you! Does this mean we can't uninstall VSPPE completely? Another computer I installed VS2008, and uninstalled VSPPE. It can work under debug-win32, but can't build project under debug-x64.

PS: I am using Vista 64bit.

MADsblionel:
Normally, you should install Visual Studio once. After you have done that, when you want updates, download the file with _novsppe in its name, or the _IA32 or _Intel64 updates. These do not include the 200MB of Visual Studio that do not change between updates.

There is a known problem where if you uninstall VSPPE and then try to reinstall the full product, VSPPE does not reinstall properly. This is why I suggested that you run ppe.exe, which will be in the folder I mentioned. This will properly reinstall VSPPE.

Does this help?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You can remove VSPPE completely, but I have found that you need to delete the Visual Studio 8 folder and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftVisualStudio8.0 registry key. This will be resolved in a future release.

Your problem on the other computer is probably because you did not select a "Custom" install of VS2008 to add the "x64 compiler and tools" option, as explained in the compiler Installation Guide. For some odd reason, this is not installed by default in the VS05/08 Professional Edition and higher. You can do a "Change" of VS2008 in add/remove programs to add that feature. Then reinstall Intel Fortran.
0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner
The VSPPE sloved using you method.

I checked the VS2008, it already has "x64 compiler and tools" installed. Maybe IVF intel 64bit edition has problem working with VS2008?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No, it should work. Please post the build log showing the problem.
0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner
1.error #11035: Fatal error cannot open bufferoverflowu ipo
2.error error_during_IPO_compilation: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 1)Link
3.error error_during_IPO_compilation: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 1)Link

MADsblionel:
No, it should work. Please post the build log showing the problem.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
That's not the whole build log.

The reference to bufferoverflowu.lib is needed with some MS platform SDKs but not all. Perhaps you can take out that reference wherever you added it. An alternative is to specify linking against the DLL libraries.
0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner
I am very confused in VS2008 doesn't have bufferoverflowu.lib, why IVF want to connect to it?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
As far as I know, you would have had to add the reference to that library manually. I am not aware that IVF makes such a reference automatically. It would help if I could see the whole buildlog.htm
0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner

Build started: Project: test1, Configuration: Debug|x64

Output
Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'test1', configuration 'Debug|x64'.
Compiling with Intel Fortran Compiler 10.1.021 [Intel 64]...
ifort /nologo /Zi /Od /gen-interfaces /warn:interfaces /module:&quotx64Debug" /object:&quotx64Debug" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:static /threads /dbglibs /c /Qvc9 /Qlocation,link,&quotc:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCinx86_amd64" &quotC:workfw est1 est1hello.F90"
Linking...
Link /OUT:&quotx64Debug est1.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:&quotC:workfw est1 est1x64debug est1.exe.intermediate.manifest" /DEBUG /PDB:&quotC:workfw est1 est1x64debug est1.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /IMPLIB:&quotC:workfw est1 est1x64debug est1.lib" &quotx64Debughello.obj"
ipo: error #11035: Fatal error cannot open bufferoverflowu
Link: error error_during_IPO_compilation: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 1)
Link: error error_during_IPO_compilation: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 1)

test1 - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Curious - I can't reproduce this on my system. Would you please attach a ZIP of your project to a reply here? Use the Options tab when replying to do that.
0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner
I already uploaded it at premier service. Boonie is dealing with it. You can contact him. Maybe this problem ocures by I didn't cleanly uninstall VC2005 premier before install VC2008?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ok, thanks. I'll check with Bonnie.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It turned out that the problem was caused by using a beta version of VS2008 rather than the released version. When he installed the released version, it worked.
0 Kudos
onkelhotte
New Contributor II

I have a similar problem here:

On a Virtual PC environment, we installedVS2008 and the latest IVF, so we can test and install this package on new computers via network. But IVF wont link files: rc.exe not found. I searched my computer (where VS2008 and IVF work without any problem) and found this file two times: First in C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.0Ain and C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual StudioCommonMSDEV98BIN (old VS6 directory).

Is this a Virtual PC error or did we forget to install something extra? Should the Windows SDK be part of the VS2008 setup?

Thanks in advance,
Markus

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Go to Tools > Options > Intel Fortran > Compilers. Look at the list of folders for Executable files. It should contain:

$(WindowsSdkDir)bin

This is how it finds rc.exe. If you don't see that entry, try adding it and see if that works.
0 Kudos
onkelhotte
New Contributor II
My installation has got the $(WindowsSdkDir)bin entry. My colleague who set up the Virtual PC Environment already left work, and because he has a free day tomorrow I can ask him Thursday.
0 Kudos