Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Rather unconventional question

florian_hanne
Beginner
Hello,

I am a student currently working on an experiment on wind tunnel contractions. One of the famous methodologies for the contraction design is based on Fortran66 ( I believe - the program was written in 1973).

All I have right now is a paper-copy of the program. Since I am not a programmer - how could I possibly use this program to calculate the contraction? I tried w/ google - nothing really helpful came out. My programming skill is rather rudimentary - I know some VBA, if that counts.

All the program does is calculate points of the contour through iteration of values.

Please, if you know an old compiler that runs under windows XP, or have any other idea how i can solve this problem, let me know!

Thanks ind advance!

Florian
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

One of the many nice things about Fortran is that old code continues to work in today's compilers. Intel Visual Fortran fully supports FORTRAN 66 code. At most you may have to set the /f66 option to specify F66 semantics for such things as 1-trip DO loops.

I suggest that you just type in the program and try it. If you get errors, let us know what they are and we'll be glad to help.

0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
..or, if the program is a long one, scan the paper copy in and use OCR software to turn the images into text, carefully looking for mismatches between the paper and OCR-translated versions. It will save the donkey-work of typing in at least.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Since it is FORTRAN 66 code, you will need to understand the fixed source form conventions.

Statement labels (numbers), if any, are in colums 1-5. These columns must be blank otherwise, unless the line is a comment (starts with a C in column 1)

Column 6 is used for a continuation indicator. This can be any character except the digit zero.

The statement itself starts in column 7 and ends at column 72.

Do not use tabs. Make sure you can tell the difference between digits 0 and 1, and the letters they resemble.

0 Kudos
florian_hanne
Beginner

Thank you all for your quick response.

Is there a free compiler available somewhere? I can not buy a compiler just for my (temporary) studies...

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you're using Linux, the Intel Fortran Compiler is free for non-commercial use. For Windows, the Intel compiler has a 30-day free trial you can use. There are other free compilers available, but many don't support F66 well if at all.
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Those are g95 and gfortran. I'd recommend the g95, as simpler to install on windows (no Cygwin or Mingw required IIRC). Like Steve said, no guarantees how well they can swallow F66 code though.
0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II

If you post some names of routines used (look for "SUBROUTINE xxxx") then someone may be able to find if the code is available online for download. This would save all the typing/scanning part.

Les

0 Kudos
davinci
Beginner

Try indeed to google to the source or programmer. If you really must scan or type-in, mind that inold Fortran66 prints the difference between some characters and digitsare essential and very difficult to scan or see. I still remember this all too well!

IA = IA * I0 is this IO or 10 or I0...?

Clemens

0 Kudos
davinci
Beginner

By the way; google forbetter hit-resultsusing

http://www.google.com/codesearch

and enter into the search field

lang:Fortran

Clemens (davinci)

0 Kudos