Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

SUBMODULEs and Visual Studio IDE - blank member drop-down list

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

With current compiler version 16.0, update 1 and the integration with Visual Studio IDE, the members drop-down list appears blank with source files that make use of SUBMODULEs.  I don't know if if this is just an issue with my installation: I've noticed this since last summer during the beta trial period and I've been remiss in not reporting it sooner, if it's a common problem.

Thanks,

dd_sm.PNG

I think almost any source file with SUBMODULEs will show this problem.  But if that's not the case and an example is needed, here's one:

submodule(m) sm

contains

module subroutine set_t(this, iarr)

class(t), intent(inout) :: this
         integer, intent(in)  :: iarr(:)

this%m_i = iarr

return

end subroutine set_t

module function get_t(this) result(msg)

class(t), intent(in) :: this
      !.. function result
      character(len=size(this%m_i)) :: msg

integer :: i

forall (i=1:size(this%m_i)) msg(i:i) = achar(this%m_i(i))

return

end function get_t

end submodule sm

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks, we'll check it out.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi,

I can confirm the observation of FortranFan at VS2015 SP1 and PSXE2016 update 1.

Also I have seen, that 'goto definition' is available but not working in conjunction with submodules. It would be fine if this will work in future updates.

I've seen just this minute that 16 update 2 is available. I will see, if this fixes it and report here later.

Johannes

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi,

16.0.2 does not change the behavior. The members drop-down list is still blank and 'goto definition' doesn't work either in case of submodules.

By the way, after installing 16.0.2 I had to change manually the VS options to use Intel Compiler 16.0.2. 'Latest' points still to 16.0.0. Integration into VS2015 seems to be OK:

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 2 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2015, Version 16.0.0061.14, Copyright © 2002-2016 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Regards, Johannes

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the feedback Johannes.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Dear Intel developer team,

working more and more with submodules and the malfunction or lack of useful VS integrations like 'Go To Definition' or the above mentioned drop-down list or the variable definition information by hoover over (works only for locally defined variables in the variable definition line, strange, not working for public ones included by modules) is annoying. Unfortunately PSXE 2017 has not shown an improvement. In another thread the wish for feature 'Go To Declaration' was expressed in conjunction with submodules.

It would be really helpful to have all these things and I think the mentioned features would for many users lower the barrier to use submodules.

Hopefully these feature will come within PSXE 2017 updates. I don't give up hope. Best regards, Johannes

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
New Contributor III
I second that. I have justified upgrading because of speedier compile times using submodules but it is affecting my productivity not having any functional source browsing. Onother issue I see when debugging into the submodule implementers is that the current line pointer always starts 2 lines above the actual entry point. Is this a related issue ?
0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Also, linked I guess is this item from another thread :

.....DPD200375967 which is about source folds not working with "module function" and "module subroutine" which means folds are not present with a large proportion of my code now .

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is our issue DPD200414315.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Andrew Smith wrote:

I second that. I have justified upgrading because of speedier compile times using submodules but it is affecting my productivity not having any functional source browsing.
Onother issue I see when debugging into the submodule implementers is that the current line pointer always starts 2 lines above the actual entry point. Is this a related issue ?

Yes I see that as debug thing well. My work around for source browsing is to click on an item in the code and then <ctrl><shift>F to find all ocurrences in the project and then click on the hit in the search window to jump to that definition.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Any news on the status of  DPD200414315?

PSXE 2017 update 1 solves it not for VS2015 update 3, unfortunately.

VS_submodules_0.png

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No news, sorry.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Johannes wrote:
Any news on the status of  DPD200414315? PSXE 2017 update 1 solves it not for VS2015 update 3, unfortunately

It works fine for me in VS2013 and also the subroutine/function collapse/expend (folds) work now with update 1 as well which is awesome! Thanks Intel Team :-)

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi, VS2015 (up 3) and drop-down lists as well 'Go To Definition' is still defect with PSXE2017 update 4 (DPD200414315) and submodules. Please fix this soon. The 'new' tree view/ class view is not a real alternative but nevertheless a nice feature.

VS2015up3_PSXE2017up4_submodules.png

0 Kudos