Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Scrolling in QuickWin application

Peter_S_13
Beginner

I have a number of programs that use many (typically 9) windows.     During the running of the program the windows need to scroll up as new material is written to the window.    When the programs are compiled in Debug mode this scrolling occurs effectively, but when the programs are compiled in Release mode the windows do not scroll up and the user needs to manually scroll the window.   How do I get the Release mode to behave in the same way as the Debug mode?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Hi, Peter...

I haven't heard of such issues before. The only thing I can think of is that if you use SETWINDOWCONFIG to set mode to QWIN$SCROLLDOWN (probably since you say you want scrolling) and don't explicitly initialize the rest of the windowconfig structure, some parts of the structure may have random data in a Release configuration.

Can you show us a simple example program that demonstrates the problem?

0 Kudos
Peter_S_13
Beginner

I replied a month ago by email, but I believe I should have responded here.    This is what I sent:

The attached simple program demonstrates the problem.

In Debug mode – after making the overall window full screen – shows in Window #2 the lines 46 to 100.   In Release mode it shows in Window #2 the lines 27 to 82.    In the Debug mode I can move the scroll bar back to show 27 to 45, but in Release mode I have to move the scroll bar forward to show 83 to 100.    In my applications I want the last entries to be displayed.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The problem as I see it is that your Window #2 has a size that extends past the bottom of the QuickWin frame. The lines are there, just hidden because they're "off the screen". For example, on my monitor if I make the height of window 2 36 instead of 56, then I can see the whole thing and line 100 is visible, with the scroll position in the right place,

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Peter_S_13
Beginner

Thanks Steve.

I seem to have put the wrong test program previously.    In the revised program I have set the height of window 2 at 36.   Now 200 lines are produced.   In the Debug mode the program shows lines 166 to 200.   In the Release mode the program shows lines 127 to 162.   Of course one can use the right hand scroll bar to reveal lines up to 200, but this is a waste of user time in my programs which update the windows frequently.   In Debug mode the highlighted scroll "button" is at the bottom of Window#2 and in Release mode the highlighted scroll "button" is a the bottom of the window - so my question is how to set the Release mode so that it behaves like the Debug mode.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

0 Kudos
Peter_S_13
Beginner

Sorry - I sent the wrong version again.  Here is the correct version

Peter

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The program you attached is the same as the old one, but I now see the behavior difference you describe, I'll see what I can figure out here.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok, I figured it out.

For some reason the scroll mode is different - uninitialized value somewhere? Not sure.

Anyway, the fix is to explicitly set the window configuration mode to QWIN$SCROLLDOWN. The attached revision of your source does this and gets the behavior you want.

0 Kudos
Peter_S_13
Beginner

Thanks Steve!!

This is a great help.

0 Kudos