Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Standalone (offline) install of Intel Visual Fortran needed.

Lee_B_3
Novice

Greetings, 

I need to know if I can purchase an Intel Visual Fortran package that is both compatible with Azure/DevOps and can be installed to an isolated (non-internet) network.

Thank you,

Lee Benjamin

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You don't have to purchase - it's free. Yes, a full product download is available that you can take to an offline system. 

While you can download the full Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit, it may make more sense for you to go to Intel® oneAPI standalone component installation files , select Compilers, Intel Fortran Compiler. Select the download that doesn't have an asterisk next to the name (it will be larger.)

You can purchase support from Intel if you wish. That doesn't require installing anything.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You don't have to purchase - it's free. Yes, a full product download is available that you can take to an offline system. 

While you can download the full Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit, it may make more sense for you to go to Intel® oneAPI standalone component installation files , select Compilers, Intel Fortran Compiler. Select the download that doesn't have an asterisk next to the name (it will be larger.)

You can purchase support from Intel if you wish. That doesn't require installing anything.

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice
0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice

With Microsoft's recent changes to Visual Studio Professional 2022, version 17.2, is Intel still planning to support ifort with Visual Studio Professional 2022?

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Yes, there is work being done today to have Intel Fortran work with VS 2022 version 17.2 and newer. I do not know when the new implementation will be available. We do understand the urgency.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

This post has info about getting and installing just the Fortran compiler as Steve mentioned.

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice

Thank you.   I have an older version of Intel Fortran (2017 with the Visual Studio 2015), what is my most direct update path?  The packages have changed so much.  I've figured out it will be "Classic" since we're just doing "CPU" support, but a recent changeover to Azure/Devops requires a newer version of Visual Studio for direct support, so update we must. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Visual Studio 2019 or 2022 Community Edition (if your use qualifies under their license), otherwise one of the other editions. See Installing Microsoft Visual Studio* for Use with Intel® Compilers for important information.

Then you just need to install the standalone package as described above. It won't affect your existing install, so you can keep or remove that at your leisure.

0 Kudos
JNichols
New Contributor I

Do not use the latest VS 2022 Preview, it does not work with oneAPI

I would suggest the VS 2019 - it works fine and does not have the annoying bug in the edit window on load. There is little difference between 2019 and 2022.  

How are you using Fortran with Azure?

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice

Thank you.  About Fortran with Azure, I'm not,  But this line of inquiry is intended to at least get a development environment together to use it as its a new requirement.  (yes, Azure is on the standalone system)  

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice

That was the preview.  Do you know if the release version of Visual Studio 2022 has any issues?

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice

The article has a link to a compiler compatibility chart (Intel® Compilers compatibility with Microsoft Visual Studio* and...) and it's a little confusing.  The offline version I got is called w_fortran-compiler_p_2022.0.3.119_offline.exe.  The chart lists IFORT only once as "Intel Compiler version" as: 

(ICC and
IFORT)
(ICX and
IFX)

I also got the recommended math package w_onemkl_p_2022.0.3.171_offline.exe (I don't know what ICC, ICX and IFX are).

and lists it as compatible with VS 2019 16.11.6.   So... does this mean that VS 2019 16.11.6 is compatible with IFORT 2021.5 or 2022.0 ?

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

major.minor.patch, if we don't call out a .patch for support then you can assume it works with all patch versions of major.minor.  2022.0 for example means 2022.0.x where x >= 0

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice

Yes.  My question was between the major.minor part of the IFORT versions 2021.5 vs 2022.0.   Of course I'll also have to see what version of Visual Studio 2019 is now available.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

ifort is the Intel Fortran Compiler Classic. Current version is 2021.5.0.

ifx is the Intel Fortran Compiler. It has OpenMP features that allow you offload work to an Intel GPU.  Current version is 2022.0.0.

You can read more about the 2 Fortran compilers in the introduction section of the Fortran Release Notes .

icc is the Intel C++ Compiler Classic. 

icx is comparable to ifx only for C++.

Does that help?

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice
0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Never use Preview editions if you care about compatibility. But I agree that VS2019 is a better bet right now.

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice

Good.  Once I have that, I get to see how much of my code is broken by the new compiler.  <grin>  Although I'm listed as a novice here, I'm actually just trying to make it to retirement later this year, so I know what to expect and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice

It turns out that Visual Studio 2022 (64 bit), version 17.0.1 (copyright 2021) is out and by the chart it should be compatible with at least IFORT 2021.5, and might be okay for IFORT 2022.0.  So I'll probably try to get Visual Studio 2022 to try to future proof it a bit.

0 Kudos
JNichols
New Contributor I

Anything you run in 2019 will run in 2022 without hassles.  

It is only challenged people like me who update all the time and really there is no need.  

The only issue with 2022 is that it has changed the color method for the VS background and I had to write a VSIX program to get my favourite soft red color scheme.  

MS has an annoying way of making changes and taking us back 1000 yrs in computer years, the picture is in the public domain it is 1000 yrs old. 

Miscellany_on_the_Life_of_St._Edmund_-_MS_M.736_fol._9v.jpg

0 Kudos