Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28385 Discussions

Support for Intel Fortran compiler on Windows subsystem for Linux (WSL)

DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

Could this become a reality in the future? Or is it something that has been off the table by Intel since the genesis of WSL?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I

We have a Linux build working fine with the following installed on WSL2 for Windows 10 2004:

Install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Download Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Linux from https://registrationcenter.intel.com You need to be a licensed user and have a login and serial number.

"2019 Update 5 Eng/Jpn" was selected for download and the file `parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran` was downloaded.

tar -xvf parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran.tgz
cd parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran
sudo ./install.sh

I selected the custom options. Left default install location `/opt/intel`. We don't use the IA-32 architecture, so only kept Intel 64 selected. All other options left as default.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I cannot see why it would not work after all you are supporting a full LINEX except GUIS?

0 Kudos
DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

I tried to install a trial version of Intel Parallel Studio on WSL. But it does not even recognize the OS and the installer quits prematurely.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You tried to install the Linux version? I do know that the Linux installer is sensitive to the OS version, as Linux is "A maze of little twisty distros, all different", as I like to say.

DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

The WSL(-2) feels like a full-fledged Ubuntu Linux, although completely within and accessible from Windows (and even its explorer). But Intel has issues with it. I managed to install the Intel MPI runtime library to test the idea and it worked. So I was curious to know if it is possible to install Intel compilers on WSL. But that did not work.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

WSL-1 has a major limitation besides lack of X-11 support: it does not allow 32-bit a.out-s to run. Many compilers and tools, even those that generate 64-bit objects, are 32-bit programs. Any compiler package, including the installer, that contains such 32-bit programs, cannot be used in WSL-1.

I do not know if these limitations apply to WSL-2.

Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I

We have a Linux build working fine with the following installed on WSL2 for Windows 10 2004:

Install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Download Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Linux from https://registrationcenter.intel.com You need to be a licensed user and have a login and serial number.

"2019 Update 5 Eng/Jpn" was selected for download and the file `parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran` was downloaded.

tar -xvf parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran.tgz
cd parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran
sudo ./install.sh

I selected the custom options. Left default install location `/opt/intel`. We don't use the IA-32 architecture, so only kept Intel 64 selected. All other options left as default.