Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28385 Discussions

No Fortran syntax highlighter in the Intel Fortran forum

DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

Is this an issue I am only experiencing, or is it a true lack of support (and respect) for the Fortran forum to not have syntax highlighter for the post made on this forum. I see every language but Fortran on the list of available languages in the post toolbar.

This is a trend that I also see in other locations on the Intel website. For example, a link to the Intel Fortran forum was missing for a long time on a page that was supposed to list all Intel forums. I searched again now to see if the problem is still there, but I could not find the page.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I have also noticed that syntax highlighting for Fortran is no longer shown in the list that is shown when one clicks on the "</>" icon. This is a recent "enhancement", since a Fortran highlighter was definitely available (and I used it several times) after the deplorable Forum software changeover. 

Another deplorable feature of the new forum software is that we can no longer display superscripts or subscripts as we used to (by selecting a sequence of characters and setting "sup" or "sub" attribute using the toolbar). The forum software used by Intel in 2011 allowed one to enter equations and mathematical expression in traditional notation, with a good symbol character set, mathematical symbols, Greek letters, etc.

What signal is Intel sending to people who use Intel Fortran for scientific computations?

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

@intel Please note, mecej4 is correct on all counts!!!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I have reported this to folks in charge of the forum.

MaryT_Intel
Employee

Yes, sorry about this. I am not sure when it happened but @Steve_Lionel notified me and we're working on it.  No ETA yet but I'll update you when I have more information.

Thanks and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Mary T.

Support Community Manager

0 Kudos
DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

@MaryT_IntelThank you for your follow-up and efforts. Very much appreciated. There are several other issues. A critical one is the option to edit posts that used to be there in the old forum but gone now. Unless this is a new forum policy, this newly-introduced lack of an edit button is highly undesirable, at least to me.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I see an edit option from the ... button after I post, but it often fails. Going to test this right now.

Editing - do you see this option?

Screenshot 2020-12-01 185722.png

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

@Steve_Lionel Thank you Steve for following this up! I do not see the edit option there yet.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Maybe it's an option for Black Belts only. That would be weird, but not surprising.

0 Kudos