Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26739 Discussions

Support for Intel Fortran compiler on Windows subsystem for Linux (WSL)

A__King
New Contributor III

Could this become a reality in the future? Or is it something that has been off the table by Intel since the genesis of WSL?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_Lewy
New Contributor III

We have a Linux build working fine with the following installed on WSL2 for Windows 10 2004:

Install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Download Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Linux from https://registrationcenter.intel.com You need to be a licensed user and have a login and serial number.

"2019 Update 5 Eng/Jpn" was selected for download and the file `parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran` was downloaded.

tar -xvf parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran.tgz
cd parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran
sudo ./install.sh

I selected the custom options. Left default install location `/opt/intel`. We don't use the IA-32 architecture, so only kept Intel 64 selected. All other options left as default.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

I cannot see why it would not work after all you are supporting a full LINEX except GUIS?

A__King
New Contributor III

I tried to install a trial version of Intel Parallel Studio on WSL. But it does not even recognize the OS and the installer quits prematurely.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

You tried to install the Linux version? I do know that the Linux installer is sensitive to the OS version, as Linux is "A maze of little twisty distros, all different", as I like to say.

A__King
New Contributor III

The WSL(-2) feels like a full-fledged Ubuntu Linux, although completely within and accessible from Windows (and even its explorer). But Intel has issues with it. I managed to install the Intel MPI runtime library to test the idea and it worked. So I was curious to know if it is possible to install Intel compilers on WSL. But that did not work.

mecej4
Black Belt

WSL-1 has a major limitation besides lack of X-11 support: it does not allow 32-bit a.out-s to run. Many compilers and tools, even those that generate 64-bit objects, are 32-bit programs. Any compiler package, including the installer, that contains such 32-bit programs, cannot be used in WSL-1.

I do not know if these limitations apply to WSL-2.

Mark_Lewy
New Contributor III

We have a Linux build working fine with the following installed on WSL2 for Windows 10 2004:

Install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Download Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Linux from https://registrationcenter.intel.com You need to be a licensed user and have a login and serial number.

"2019 Update 5 Eng/Jpn" was selected for download and the file `parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran` was downloaded.

tar -xvf parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran.tgz
cd parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran
sudo ./install.sh

I selected the custom options. Left default install location `/opt/intel`. We don't use the IA-32 architecture, so only kept Intel 64 selected. All other options left as default.

View solution in original post