Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28702 Discussions

Support for advanced editing facilities in Visual Studio for Fortran?

Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I
Hello,

I would like to know if such advanced editing facilities like getting a list of variables or functions
via ctrl-space (or a similar key) are/will be available for Fortran in the Visual Studio IDE as it is
available for languages like C#.

(The reason I ask is that I have been engaged in discussions aboutsuch features that are very
common for languages like C# and Java but not for Fortran. The lack of support is then invariably
an argument not to useFortran. I do not regard that as a valid argument, and when I program in
Java I tend to use it only to find out about the available methods for an object, but it feels like an
uphill battle at times.)

Regards,

Arjen
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II

I believe that the fault lies not with Fortran -but with Microsoft!
If I understand correctly Microsoftdid not licensethese kinds of debugging aids to third party developers.I believe Intel have been in discussion withthem about this for some time (things such as source browsing for example).
I also believe that an agreement has finally been reached on this.

- but don't quote me on it :-)

Les

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I
I won't :) but thanks for that piece of information anyway.

Regards,

Arjen
0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I
Hi Arjen

May be the following links to forum discussions would be good to read:-

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=56977&o=a&s=lr
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=41547&o=a&s=lr
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=57076&o=a&s=lr

Steve Lionel has clearly mentioned licensing issues with Microsoft, change of interfaces, resources, and priorities. However, there are some (such as PGI, Salford) that provide more facilities than IVF. Limited to my personal opinion, the support by the latest version of Photran is probably the best. I strongly hope that IVF will catch up soon.

Abhi
0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I
I see - I am not the only one noting this lack of functionality ;).

(As far as editors are concerned, personally I swear by one that I have been using in various incarnations over the past three decades - which is not vi nor emacs - and I find these Intellisense features distracting at
times, but that does not mean that I do not want to have the choice. And I certainly dislike to have to defend
Fortran against a torrent of IDE arguments ...)

Of course I have no idea what goes into the implementation of these features for Fortran. My only guess is
that it will require a lot of code parsing.

Regards,

Arjen
0 Kudos
ferrad01
Beginner
Quoting arjenmarkus
(As far as editors are concerned, personally I swear by one that I have been using in various incarnations over the past three decades - which is not vi nor emacs -

... which is?

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I
:) IBM's XEDIT (as it was available on their CMS operating system) and its incarnation KEDIT on
Windows. My installation of it uses a set of macros to which I am accustomed.

Regards,

Arjen
0 Kudos