Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Support for the Express version of Visual Studio

schulzey
New Contributor I

Is Intel planning to support the Express version of Visual Studio 2013? I downloaded the latest Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE for Windows (incl VS shell 2013), but it doesn't recognise my VS Express 2013.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
onkelhotte
New Contributor II

I don´t think that this is possible even when Intel wants to support the expess versions.

The Visual Studio Express Versions are just for getting used to the .NET languages and they don´t offer the capabilities of the non-express Visual Studio Versions. And one feature of non express Visual Studio is that 3rd party vendors like Intel can integrate their compiler into the IDE or creating soultions with IVF and C++/C#/VB projects.

But IVF has a Visual Studio Shell so you could use this without buying a Visual Studio license. Mixed language solutions aren´t possible here too.

Markus

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Microsoft does not permit third-party products to integrate with the VS Express system. All of our documentation says that if you have a separate VS install, the Professional Edition or higher is required to get integration. With a VS Express, all you can get to work is command line builds.  As Markus says, we provide VS2010 Shell.

0 Kudos
schulzey
New Contributor I

Thanks Markus and Steve

0 Kudos
joey_hylton
Beginner

Steve,

Do you mean when I install Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE, I can install VS2010 shell automatically, and use it without installing VS professional separately?

In this link 

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-visual-fortran-studio-xe-2013-for-windows-update-2-with-microsoft-visual-studio-2010

there is a file named

File:  f_studio_xe_2013_update2_intel64_setup.exe 
Product for developing 64-bit applications only (with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell & Libraries*)

Does it include the shell? How can I get it? 

Current I have fortran Composer XE 2013 license, but my intel software manager is download this version for me

lntel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 4 for Windows. Versin 2013.1.4.237 Thursday. August 21. 2014 980.85 MB 

How can I get a version with VS shell? thanks a lot.

Best,

JL

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, that's what I mean - the full product installer will install the shell automatically if you don't already have a supported Visual Studio version installed.

The f_studio_xe_2013 setup you mention does NOT include the shell. In that version, the installers that have "ia32", "intel64" or "novsshell" in their names don't include the shell. The one that does is f_studio_xe_2013_update2_setup.exe. This is an old version, though and is the suite product Intel Visual Fortran Studio XE 2013.

I don't see your email address in our registration database - probably your license was registered to an administrator in your organization. If you are licensed for Visual Fortran Composer XE, you would not be able to use the Fortran Studio installer. But for the version you have installed, either the online installer or the full installer includes VS Shell.

0 Kudos
joey_hylton
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your reply. 

I use my personal email here.

If it is possible, would you please let me know how to download the version with VS shell? 

BTW: I saw XE 2015 is available, can I update to that version with current license? 

Thanks again and Best Regards,

Jianguo

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

Yes, that's what I mean - the full product installer will install the shell automatically if you don't already have a supported Visual Studio version installed.

The f_studio_xe_2013 setup you mention does NOT include the shell. In that version, the installers that have "ia32", "intel64" or "novsshell" in their names don't include the shell. The one that does is f_studio_xe_2013_update2_setup.exe. This is an old version, though and is the suite product Intel Visual Fortran Studio XE 2013.

I don't see your email address in our registration database - probably your license was registered to an administrator in your organization. If you are licensed for Visual Fortran Composer XE, you would not be able to use the Fortran Studio installer. But for the version you have installed, either the online installer or the full installer includes VS Shell.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I responded to your PM.

0 Kudos
joey_hylton
Beginner

Steve,

Thank you so much for your message. Sorry for not replying to you. 

I was waiting IT to download the latest version, however, they are busy with other things rather than getting this for me.  So I decided to download the trial version by myself, and  hope to use the license to activate it (wish this works) alter.  

However, when I install it, I got a message saying my VS are not as required (see the picture below).  On my computer, I have VS 2013 (perhaps 2012 as well) express installed. So there are not C++ compiler and IDE as well. I expected IVF will install VS shell and IDE for me. But it looks it will skip that.   What shall I do here? Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

JL

IVF.png

I responded to your PM.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

VS Express provides 32-bit command-line support only. The trial license will not install VS Shell.

0 Kudos
joey_hylton
Beginner

Steve,

Thanks for your quick response. It seems I have to ask IT to download the full version for me?

Best,

JL

VS Express provides 32-bit command-line support only. The trial license will not install VS Shell.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The download is the same (for the 2015 version), the license/serial number controls what gets installed.

0 Kudos
joey_hylton
Beginner

In that case, I am confused. When I stalled it, it did find a license file on my computer (XE2013 ). 

Can you check if is can be used for installing the shell? 

Thanks and Best Regards,

JL

The download is the same (for the 2015 version), the license/serial number controls what gets installed.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, that license will work. The problem is likely that having VS Express on the system confused the installer into thinking the shell was not needed. Uninstall Fortran and VS Express, then reinstall Fortran.

0 Kudos
joey_hylton
Beginner

It works. Thanks, JL

Yes, that license will work. The problem is likely that having VS Express on the system confused the installer into thinking the shell was not needed. Uninstall Fortran and VS Express, then reinstall Fortran.

0 Kudos