Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

Taking the absolute value of a logical argument: no compilation error

avinashs
New Contributor I

I had accidently taken the absolute value of a logical argument and Intel Fortran did not flag it as a compiler error. In fact, the code ran fine until I happened to detect the error indirectly through an erroneous output in another variable. Is this consistent with the Fortran standard? (On a different note, do not see option in new forum to format the code below as a F90 source).

program main
implicit none
real(kind = :: x
x = 1.0d-7
if (abs(abs(x) <= 1.0d-6)) then
print *, 'error: absolute value of a logical argument is not allowed'
read *
end if
end program main

0 Kudos
2 Replies
avinashs
New Contributor I

I noticed that the code I pasted above left out portions of the original file ex. real(kind = :: x. So attaching the source file of the test example.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Any time you want to ask whether something is standard, the first thing you should do is invoke the compiler with standards warnings enabled:

D:\Projects>ifort /stand test_abslgt.f90
Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler Classic for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 2021.1.2 Build 20201208_000000
Copyright (C) 1985-2020 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

test_abslgt.f90(6): warning #7056: Allowing integer arguments to be logical for this intrinsic function is not standard Fortran 2018
-----------------^
test_abslgt.f90(6): warning #6188: Fortran 2018 requires a LOGICAL data type in this context.   [ABS]
------^

Intel Fortran, like DEC Fortran before it for decades, has an extension that allows free conversion between numeric and logical types. This was handy in the VMS days, though ill-considered in hindsight. I did manage to get this removed from list-directed input (by default, you can still re-enable it).

0 Kudos