Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28637 Discussions

Unable to Run programe which requires 2GD memory while running

manjunathav
Beginner

Dear all,

I am using the intel-fortran 11.1 compiler to compile my program, which requires more than 2GB memory while running. Normal practice to set the STACKSIZE unlimit in Linux is to use the command "ulimit = unlimite". But after using this command also i am not able to run my program. it gives the error message as "SEGEMENTATION FAULT"

Is there any solution for this, as of my understanding this is the limitation of the INTEL_FORTRAN11.1 compiler.

Please suggest us the solution to run my program successfully.

Thanks & Regards
Manjuantha

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ron_Green

Dear all,

I am using the intel-fortran 11.1 compiler to compile my program, which requires more than 2GB memory while running. Normal practice to set the STACKSIZE unlimit in Linux is to use the command "ulimit = unlimite". But after using this command also i am not able to run my program. it gives the error message as "SEGEMENTATION FAULT"

Is there any solution for this, as of my understanding this is the limitation of the INTEL_FORTRAN11.1 compiler.

Please suggest us the solution to run my program successfully.

Thanks & Regards
Manjuantha

If the data is allocated with ALLOCATE, you will need to use -mcmodel=medium during the compilation.

And remember, you cannot allocate more memory than your system has in physical RAM + swap space. So if you have 2GB of ram and a 500MB swap file, at the absolute most you can allocate 2.5GB. As a general rule of thumb, I try to limit my applications to 85% of physical ram, or in this example .85*2GB

ron
0 Kudos