Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Unable to debug Fortran code

keerti_somu
Beginner
Hi,
I am using Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional 11.1.048. We are using a couple of fortran libraries in our managed code. I am using a Windows XP 32 bit machine and i had installed the trial version of Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional(IVFCP). I was able to debug my fortran code without any issues. Now i got a license and reintalled the IVFCP with the license. I am not able to debug the fortran code now. THe breakpoints aren't loading.
One change that happened after i had got the license was we introduced the next version of our application. But i am not sure if that will affect debugging in any manner. I have a windows 7 64 bit machine , in this machine also i am not able to debug. THe code builds cleanly without any issues.
The manner of debugging was we ran our application and used to attach the process to our code(Microsft visual studio 2008). Any ideas or suggesstions on how i can tackle this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Keerti.
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Let me see if I understand correctly - you want to use remote debugging to debug the application? Is a debug build of the EXE and the .PDB file visible on a network share?

You may want to have a look at this thread, where another user got remote debugging working.
0 Kudos
keerti_somu
Beginner
Steve,
No i am not trying to debug remotely. The build is on my machine only.
I am just attaching the process to my Visual Studio 2008 instance and trying to debug.
Thanks,
Keerti
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you're attaching the process, that is "remotely". Can you not build the program for debugging and start it under debug control in Visual Studio? Why do the attach?
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Keerti,

What happens when you create a new project and write a 10 line simple program. Then build the Debug configruation from the VS 2008 IDE and launch the debug session from the IDE?

If that works, then tweek the 10 line program such that it will run in an infinate loop. Re-run Debug build from IDE and click on || to see if it breaks into the program. (it should).

Next, exit VS, run the Debug app from the command line. Then launch WinDbg (either from command line or run VS and from toolbar). Then attach to the process, the || to break into the runnng process.

If all of the above work with debug break points, then look for what is different between this app and the one you are having problems with. This may be a case of paths to ancilliary files issue (manifest, pdb, proj, ...?)

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
keerti_somu
Beginner
All,
Thank you for your replies.It seems to be a problem with my parent application enviroment. Because with a previous version of the application i am able to debug into Fortran files only with the later version this issue is occuring. Also we have a standalone executable for the Fortran library which i was able to debug without any issues.
This might be a silly question.Is it possible that if the Fortran compiler version that my parent application uses is X and the compiler that i have installed is Y then this issue can occur ?
Thanks,
Keerti
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No, the version difference should not matter.
0 Kudos
keerti_somu
Beginner
Hi Steve,
On further analysis we found out that we were able to debug into fortran files in an Win XP environment with the same code base , same application version and Fortran Compiler 11.1.048 as well.
The issue occurs only in Windows 7 64 bit environment. While starting the application , in the ouput window of the VS2008 we are not able to see the symbols loaded message for the fortran libraries. Is there a possibility f there can be any security restriction loading the pdbs of unmanaged assemblies in windows 7 64bit platform.
Please let me know if anything strikes your mind based on the above information.
Thanks,
Keerti Somasundaram
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I am unaware of any such restrictions. Have you tried starting VS2008 as Administrator (right click on the shortcut to select this)?
0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I
Steve, how is it considered to be remote debugging when you attach the debugger to a process running on the same machine as yourself?

Attaching is also normal for me since I hardly ever stop the running process. My process accepts and recompiles new Smalltalk code without needing to stop. My exe can close my Fortran dll to allow me to change its code and re-compile it. So in summary, my exe never stops and the debuger remains attached all day. Stange but very productive.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This is what the VS debugger calls it when you are not starting the debugged program from Visual Studio.
0 Kudos
keerti_somu
Beginner
Steve,
I was able to debug after starting VS2008 as administrator. Not sure if this is what was restricting the symbols from getting loaded.
Thanks for your help.
Keerti Somasundaram.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Glad to hear it.
0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I
I am dealing with the same problem and running VS as administrator did not help.

I am running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, the Fortran version is Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.0.4.196.

I tried rebuilding the application, but it did not help - whenever I place a breakpoint in the code, the execution stops, but when I click "Show Next Statement" or press Alt+Num*, the yellow arrow indicating the next statement does not occur and I get the warning instead: "No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame. The source code cannot be displayed." I thought the problem could be related to parallelization, but disabling parallel calculation in my application did not help.

This is happening when I use Debug and x64. Debug and Win 32 are fine and debugging works well. The two configurations are completely the same, the only difference is the platform.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Are you attaching to the process or just doing normal, in-solution debugging? This thread is about attaching to a running process.
0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I
I am doing the normal, in-solution debugging; I am sorry for using an incorrect thread.
0 Kudos
keerti_somu
Beginner
Hi Jirina,
Were you able to resolve the issue ? .
When your hitting F5 or attaching the application to the IDE , try to check if the output window in the IDE shows that the assemblies are getting loaded and the native symbols in the file are loaded. If the PDBs version mismatch (outdated) then the symbols wont load.
Thanks,
Keerti.
0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I
Hi Keerti,
As it was indicated earlier by Steve, this might not be the correct thread to discuss my problems with the in-solution debugging, so I created a new thread here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=85743 .
By the way, I ran into this problem several times since posting my previous reply, but I unfortunately dod not have time to investigate this issue in more detail. When I have any updates, I will post them in the correct thread.
Regards,
Jiri.
0 Kudos