Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Unable to start program

Richard_R_1
Beginner

I am using Visual Studio 2010 with the Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 for Windows* OS and am also getting the Unable to Start program error(which has the full path to my executable).  I am able to create the executable using Build.  Also when I try to run the program using Ctrl F5  I get a different error: Unable to start program C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe.  I have checked the value for the Free Form Sources as suggested in the Developer Zone Forum and it is .f90

When I Click on the Windows strart button and type cmd.exe into the search window and click on cmd.exe I do get the command prompt window.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please let me know if know if you need additional information.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

You might see that if your PATH is goofed up in your Project settings.

Try from Windows:

Start | All Programs | Intel Parallel Studio EX 201n | Command Prompt | you choose IA32 or Intel64

You may need to adjust the above click route for your system.

A cmd window will open... with the environment variables set for Fortran development.

Then enter the command:

cmd /?

If you get the cmd help printout then the Intel installation did not disturb PATH. If cmd not found then you may need to uninstall and reinstall Intel Fortran. (or there may be a help file on how to fix the installation setting the environment variables).

If cmd is found, then close the window, go back to VS 2010, open your Solution and examine the Project properties. It is likely you overwrite path. IOW you set PATH and did not append to PATH.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Jim, that environment has no effect on Visual Studio.

My guess is that the system PATH environment variable is too long. Windows gets really weird when this happens, and the symptoms can be baffling.

Richard, open cmd.exe from the Start menu as you did earlier. Change directory (cd) to a folder you can write to, and then type:

set path > path.txt

Attach path.txt to a reply here so we can look at it. You may have some redundant folders listed in PATH that can be removed.

0 Kudos
Richard_R_1
Beginner

Jim

path.txt file attached.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Richard,

The only thing unusual is the Linux style path

/cygdrive/g/apache-maven-3.0.3\bin;

Cut that from the middle of PATH, paste it on the tail end, change / to \ and see what happens.

Note, you will have to restart VS after making the change to the system envioronment variables.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Applying the filters tr ';' '\n' < path.txt | sort gave

/cygdrive/g/apache-maven-3.0.3\bin
c:\jruby-1.6.8\bin
C:\pik\
C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.7.0_21\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\mpirt
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64\compiler
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Microsoft Online Services
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\
C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Microsoft Online Services
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\
C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin
C:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\
C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin
C:\Python27\
c:\Python27\Scripts
C:\Python27\Scripts
C:\Ruby192\bin
C:\Ruby193\bin
C:\Ruby200-x64\bin
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\system32
C:\Windows\System32\Wbem
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\
c:\xmlbeans-2.6.0\bin
g:\apache-ant-1.8.2\bin
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64\mpirt

As you can see, some entries have been duplicated, and can be removed safely. Others may be no longer needed, and may be removed at your discretion.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

cygwin style path syntax shouldn't appear in the Windows environment.  Cygwin makes the conversion to its style on the fly in its view of PATH.  Check that you actually have that folder visible under G: before changing it to Windows style.

0 Kudos
Richard_R_1
Beginner

I modified my path as suggested and restarted Visual Studio but still get the Unable to start program error.

Attached is a file containing an updated version of my path.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

It may be helpful to know which versions of Windows and Intel Fortran you have on your system.

0 Kudos
Richard_R_1
Beginner

Windows 7 Enterprise

Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 for Windows* OS

w_fcompxe_2013.1.119

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Would you please attach a screenshot of the error?

0 Kudos
Morris__Christopher

I am getting the same error. listed my path file and found noting odd

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Do you get this on any program, or just one in particular? Please attach a screenshot of the error. Also, open the Linker > Debug property page on the project, set "Generate link map" to Yes, rebuild the program and then attach the .map file to a reply here.

0 Kudos
Richard_R_1
Beginner

I get this error on every program I try to run.  When I try to run program with Debug -> Start new instance I get the Unable to Start Program error(See file MVSDebugStartNewInstanceError.jpg).  When I try to run the program Debug -> Start without Debugging I get the Unable to start program cmd.exe error(See file MVSCMDERROR.jpg).  The zip file also contains the .map file as you requested.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

What happens if you double-click on C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe ? (This is a different path than shown in the error.) Have you installed Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2010? cmorris, are you also using VS2010?

0 Kudos
Richard_R_1
Beginner

Yes I have installed Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2010.

When I double-click on C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe the command window appears.

See attached file.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Hmm - I am stumped here. Something obviously awry on your system. If you double-click on your program EXE does it run? (The window will probably disappear once the program exits.)

The only thing I can suggest now is to uninstall Fortran and Visual Studio and then reinstall them (Visual Studio first, unless you are using the bundled Shell.)

0 Kudos
Richard_R_1
Beginner

When I double-click the executable a window appears briefly and disappears.

Before I sent the first message to the group I uninstalled Fortran and Visual Studio.

I installed Visual Studio - Installed Service Pack 1 and then installed Fortran.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok, since you have a separate Visual Studio installed, how about creating the C++ console application from the C++ project wizard and running that to see what happens. 

Also, open a separate command prompt window and from that try running your executable.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Richard R., have you tried to run the executable from a command window rather than from within Visual Studio? The window which appeared briefly and then disappeared may have displayed some useful information. Running the program from the command line would enable you to read/capture that information. You need to open a properly configured command window (as Jim Dempsey suggested in #2), navigate to the directory that contains the executable, and then run the program by typing its name.

0 Kudos
Richard_R_1
Beginner

I ran the Fortran program from the command window and it executed successfully and output what was expected.

I'm not that familiar with C++ but have created a Hello World program and executed it from Visual Studio.

Below is what was output to the "Output" window.

'helloworld.exe': Loaded 'G:\1CPP\helloworld\Debug\helloworld.exe', Symbols loaded.
'helloworld.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'helloworld.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'helloworld.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'helloworld.exe': Loaded 'C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.4112.4156.105\Data\Definitions\BASHDefs\20141107.011\UMEngx86.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'helloworld.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1180) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[2932] helloworld.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

0 Kudos