Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28591 Discussions

Unable to view multi-dimensional arrays in debugger.

scitec
Beginner

Hello,

I find that I cannot view any array that has dimension > 1. The display in the locals window is truncated at the point the first such array would be listed, and trying to display the value in the Immediate window results in a message like:

CXX0017: Error: symbol "arrayName" not found

I have recently moved to a new computer, and I'm pretty sure I never had this problem on the old system. (I am still using VS 2003 and Fortran version 9.1 (9.1.033). I have tried reinstalling both the IDE and Fortran, but without success.

Possibly connected: "View Array" in the Debug and context menus is disabled.

Any suggestions for how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Randy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Last thing first - View Array is not related. That's for using the Array Visualizer.

The fact that the message starts with CXX tells me that the Fortran debug support is not properly installed. We had a problem with this in 9.1.033. I suggest that you download a later version from the Intel Registration Center (9.1.037 I think is the latest, or better, 10.0.027 if you're eligible for it.)
0 Kudos
scitec
Beginner

Hello, Steve,

Thanks for the clarification re Array Visualizer. I see in the notes that it isn't automatically included with v9.1 but needs to be downloaded separately. OK. That's easy.

After I posted, I tried creating a trivial example that would demonstrate the problem and so chose a simple console application project. On running it I received a message to the effect that the Fortran Expression Evaluator was not installed and prompting me to install it. After installation of this, the 2-D arrays were again visible (in the original project).

I think this reinforces your suggestion that debug support may not have been properly installed. I took your suggestion (downloaded v9.1.038) and all now seems to be fine.

Thanks for your excellent suggestion.

Cheers,
Randy

0 Kudos