Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Uninformative error message for submodule implementer

Andrew_Smith
New Contributor III

error #7257: The characteristics of the procedure's arguments differ from those of the same procedure's arguments that are redefined in the INTERFACE statement. ArgName.

It does not say what the procedure is called and VS debugger does not jump to its location when double clicking the error message.

All the source browsing is broken too for submodules.

Using latest compiler.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Would you please provide a small test case showing the problem?

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
New Contributor III

Attached test files

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Got it - thanks. The "uninformative" problem is that the compiler is not associating the error with any particular source line - what we call a "locator". Therefore Visual Studio just points to the first line in the source. I have reported that to the compiler developers as issue DPD200414312.

I also see that procedures in submodules don't show up in the procedure dropdown list (and most likely that means they aren't considered the definition of those procedures.) I will report that separately - issue number DPD200414315.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
New Contributor III

Thanks Steve,

But really I meant the "uninformative" bit is that the message does not name the erroneous procedure. e.g. it would be better to say:

The characteristics of the procedure's [foo] arguments differ from those of the same procedure's arguments that are redefined in the INTERFACE statement.  

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

If you had the source line where the argument was declared, it would be pretty obvious which procedure was involved. Note that it does give you the name of the argument that differs. But I'll agree that more information is always better.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I think I described both of those errors previously and there were dpd's raised, I will check the relevant posts....

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/593320

(Internal tracking id: DPD200376097 - Enhance error #7257 to include the corresponding source code line number)
(Internal tracking id: DPD200376098 – "Jump to error" jumps to line 1 of affected source file related to ifort error #7257)

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I reassigned the first issue to DPD200376097. Andrew, your second issue is just a fallout of the first one.

0 Kudos