Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Unusual Message During a Rebuild

tom_stevens
Beginner
First of all, you are welcome to refer me to Premier Support if you will be so kind as to supply a current link. My old one seem to be obsolete. This may also not be worthy of issue raising.

I was doing a rebuild with Version 11.0.3453 of the DEBUG version ofa Visual Studio "solution" comprising 91 projects. The RELEASE version of thesolution rebuiltwithout incident. The DEBUG version failed in one project of the 91.I am unable to find (using compiler HELP) what causes the message although googling it suggests that it may be something systemic; interaction between my computer's register and theapplicable file.

The message (in the Task List) states "ERROR Exclusive Lock of H:\......\PGOPTI.SPL failed, Code=56".

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The link for Intel Premier Support is https://premier.intel.com/ - hasn't changed in at least eight years.

I can't find any formal reports of this error, but I do see one other user reported it against the C++ compiler in the forum some years ago. I'm rather surprised that this would show up in a debug build, as I believe it relates to the use of the /prof_use optimization option. Do you have that on?

Which Visual Studio version are you using and how many processors does Windows think your PC has? I'm wondering if perhaps, on a multicore system, Visual Studio is doing project builds in parallel and there's some conflict with a file, though I can't imagine how one of these files would be shared across projects.

Is the full path of this file in the "intermediate" folder of one of your projects? Where is it in the project folder tree?
0 Kudos
Groundsel
Beginner

I guess that link is the same one I have stored. However, I did not get my familiar display when I last tried to use it. Perhaps it is a renewal issue. Anyway, thanks for confirming it.

As to your other queries:

• All optimization is off for the rebuild of the debug version. There is nothing special about the setting of the project which gives rise to that message. Others like it rebuild without incident.
  • Visual Studio 2003 was used.
  • My technical PC, has a Pentium 4 in a Windows XP Professional environment. I hope that tells you how many processors.
  • The location of the file in question is in the main PROJECT folder. So it lives alongside projectname.vfproj
  • The file has 0 content which suggests to me that its recreation is being frustrated somehow.

Cheers!

Tom

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Interesting. Please attach the buildlog.htm from the failed build. (See below for attachment instructions.)
0 Kudos
Groundsel
Beginner
OK Steve,

You gave me what I needed to find the anomaly.The root cause of the problemwas interaction between this project and Visual SourceSafe. I foundunder Fortran Properties -> Command Line that this project had acquired an "Additional Options" setting of /Qprof-genx. None of the other projects in the solution had it. When I tried to remove it, VSS insisted that I check it out - which I did - and then removed it. After that, the project built without incident just like the others.

Howthisproject aloneacquired the extra setting, I have no idea. (I could not find an obvious property setting elsewhere - only the direct Additional Options setting.) Anyway, your queries finally got me looking in the right place.

Cheers!
Tom
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Whew! Glad to hear it.
0 Kudos