Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Update 5: Some of Visual Studio 2017 integration components failed to install

Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

I received the message shown in the title this morning. After update and starting VS 2017 (very slowly), Fortran projects are labeled as incompatible. I ran Intel and VS repair tools (in that order; especially VS repair took a while). Both seemed to complete successfully. Rebooted my computer. I had a monitor icon oat the bottom right corner which I have not seen before. [Something related to my graphics (NVIDIA share) did not start. I rebooted second time.] Visual Studio took some time to "prepare". Same situation. Incompatible Fortarn projects.

I have VS 2017 Pro (15.9.16) and 2019 Community on my (Windows 10 Pro x64) computer. Up to now (inclusive Update 4) I had no such trouble.

I was thinking of uninstalling  and reinstalling Intel Parallel Studio, but I am not sure about the procedure to do so without damaging or loosing my license. 

I would appreciate any suggestions what to do next. If reinstall is the best or only option, how should go about doing it cleanly?

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Steve Lionel (Ret.) (Blackbelt) wrote:

I would uninstall all updates of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019. When you install update 5, it leaves previous updates installed. You shouldn't need to do anything with the 2018 or earlier versions.

Thank you very much.

How about what seems to be the first install: Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019? Shall I uninstall it?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

When I start Visual Studio, I get the following message:

I also tried to restore my computer back to 2019 Version#4, same problem.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Uninstalling will not affect your license. Here's what I suggest:

• Uninstall Intel Parallel Studio XE
  • Reboot
  • Reinstall Intel Parallel Studio XE

If that doesn't resolve the issue, repeat this but also uninstall Visual Studio 2017 before the reboot and reinstall it after, making sure first to update it to its latest version (15.9.15 as I write this), then reinstall the Intel product.

0 Kudos
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Steve:

Thank you very much. I started the process. Can I use the Product update files to do complete new install? Do I need to download something else?

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Steve:

First option failed. I am now starting second option (reinstall Intel Parallel Studio and VS 2017). I have the following notes or infor:

- I uninstalled second Visual Studio (Community Addition 2019) 

- I ran Intel 2019#5 Installer as Administrator.

- All went pretty quickly except Installing component 93 of 94: Visual Studio 2017 integration (took real long time).

- Noticed that it installed 94 of 94: Restart of Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 software (which also took some time).

- Received the same message that Visual Studio 2017 Integration May not work.

- When I start VS which takes long time to load, I get no error message. But no sign of Fortran when I create a new project.

- Fortran projects are marked incompatible.

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Steve:

I really need your help.

I uninstalled Intel Parallel Studio using 2019 Update #5 installer [ parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe ]. I uninstalled Visual Studio 2017. I rebooted at every step. Then I tried to fire the Update #5 installer. It gives a message that I cannot change the install directory as Parallel Studio 2019 is already installed in a directory.

I went to Windows 10 App settings (install&uninstall) feature. It shows Update #1 to Update# 4 as well as a Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 installed. Intel Software Manager is also installed as well as Intel Parallel Studio Xe 2018 Updates #2 and #3. No 2019 Update #5 shown.

My question is that shall I proceed without doing anything windows the windows app manager. Or shall uninstall all or some of these programs? Please help.

Best regards;

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I would uninstall all updates of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019. When you install update 5, it leaves previous updates installed. You shouldn't need to do anything with the 2018 or earlier versions.

0 Kudos
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Steve Lionel (Ret.) (Blackbelt) wrote:

Thank you very much.

How about what seems to be the first install: Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019? Shall I uninstall it?

0 Kudos
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Dear Steve:

Mission accomplished and some more!

After a semi fresh install of Visual Studio 2017 (because I used Visual Studio Installer which keeps the settings, but deleted the Visual Studio 2017 folder), I uninstalled all versions of 2109 including the initial installation from last September (or October). Then I installed 2019 Update #5. It went smoothly. All seems to work. I tried both mixed and single FORTRAN projects. They compiled and linked.

I would like to stress or note on several points for the benefit of others:

- I assumed mistakenly that the updates are incremental. They are all stand alone complete installation files.

- I recommend running Intel Parallel Studio install with admin privileges.

- I am not certain but the problem I encountered may have been due to existence of two Visual Studio versions. One (Visual Studio 2019 Community) did not have FORTRAN integrated. I think Update #5 tried to integrate with it without asking. I recommend that Intel include a step to ask the User which Visual Studio versions to integrate if more than one installed.

- In the process I realized that Update installs do not update the the Global Visual Studio settings required for interoperabality ( I did not realize that I was still using "$(IFORT_COMPILER18)\:" although I had 2019 and its updates installed):

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/configuring-visual-studio-for-mixed-language-applications

Thank you for your help again very much.

I. Konuk

0 Kudos