Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Upgrade current license work with older installed versions?

Shane_P_
Beginner

We’d like to install a new license server (for Compiler for Windows) and test to make sure we can get our product to compile under the new and old compiler using the new licensing server before switching our systems over to minimize productivity impacts. 

It’s unclear if upgrading the current licensing server will allow the currently installed versions to operate.  Would this work?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel

You should be able to use older versions of the software after upgrading the license server. If you still experiencing issues with licenses please submit a ticket at https://software.intel.com/en-us/support/priority-support

0 Kudos
Shane_P_
Beginner

Just to verify, we can run 2 different versions simultaneously (the old and the new) so we can do testing on the new version while still using the old version? We just want to make sure it works alright before formally going onto the new one.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes. You can use as many versions as you like. While I was working for Intel, it was not unusual for me to have five or more different versions installed. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-older-intel-visual-fortran-versions-in-different-microsoft-visual-studio-versions for more information, especially regarding which sets of versions are supported within Visual Studio.

0 Kudos
Roman1
New Contributor I

I am confused about what happens if you have many versions of the compiler installed.  The way I understand this, is that all the latest compiler libraries are stored in the following folder, which is added to the PATH:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64_win\compiler

What happens if you want to use the old version of the compiler?  Would it link with the new libraries, or the old ones?  My guess is that this would not be a problem if the executable is statically linked.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

When you run the cmd shortcut or the gui compiler version selection, the library folders for that version go on the head of PATH etc.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Tim is correct regarding a command prompt environment. However, only the latest version run-time DLLs are in PATH at the system level, and this applies to programs run from inside Visual Studio. 

0 Kudos