Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Upgraded to Visual Studio 2010

davidgraham
Beginner
I've just updated to Visual Studio 2010 Full, before I was on Visual Studio 2008 shell.

With Visual Studio 2008 shell I had to use the program 'ResEdit' to edit the resouce file - to edit the dialogs etc.
With Visusal Studio 2010 full I should be able to edit the dialogs directly - how do I do this, back in VF6.6 there was a resource tab.

Also how do I get the watch window to be displayed when debugging - I can't see anything that looks like it, just an 'immediate' window.

I'm sure the answers are simple its just getting used to the new terminology.

Thanks
David
0 Kudos
79 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Sorry, my system was giving me trouble last week. I also need the .h file generated by resedit.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
No problem, I'm busy doing other things but I didn't want thisproblem to be lost.
Thanks, I've attached the file.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ok, this is progress.

First, I can also see the issue you had with windows.h - I am investigating that on the side.

The main problem here is that the resource editor doesn't like including windows.h, which pulls in a LOT of things, apparently some with symbols longer than it likes. Please replace the series of #include lines in grade.rc with:

#include "afxres.h"

and see if that's better.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Steve,
THanks, replacing the #includes with #include "afxres.h" looks better.
I now get the error "RC2104: undefined keyword or key name IDM_DBASE_ACTIVATE".
I'm not sure why, as it's in grade.rc, in resource.fd resource.h and in the code.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Did you also remove the #include of resource.h? Put it back. Sorry, I was not clearer in my earlier post.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner

The start of the .rc file now looks like this:

// Generated by ResEdit 1.5.11

// Copyright (C) 2006-2012

// http://www.resedit.net

#include "afxres.h"

#include "richedit.h"

#include "commctrl.h"

#include "resource.h"

When I double click on the file it gaves the same error as in post #36.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Remove these lines:

#include "richedit.h"

#include "commctrl.h"

0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
I now get tghe error:

"error RC2104 : undefined keyword or key name: WC_STATIC"

The start of the .rc now looks like this:

#include "afxres.h"

#include "resource.h"

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Urg. Add back in the #include of commctrl.h

Or add this:

#define WC_STATIC "Static"
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner

I still get the error message:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDK's\Windoes\v7.0 A\include\prsht.h(0)
error RC2247 : SYMBOL name too long.

The .rc files now looks like this:

#include "afxres.h"

#include "resource.h"

#include "commctrl.h"

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I guess that commctrl.h is including that long symbol. Put in the #define directly, then.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner

Thanks, OK, I've now added the following and I don't get any errors when compiling or double clicking on the .rc file.

#include "afxres.h"

#include "resource.h"

#define WC_STATIC "Static"

#define UPDOWN_CLASS "Static"

#define PROGRESS_CLASS "Static"

#define WC_TABCONTROL "Static"

#define TRACKBAR_CLASS "Static"

But I don't see the resources window - maybe it's just turned off.
Which one is it?
In View|Other Windows|Resource View is greyed out.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you are using VS2010, make sure that VS2010 SP1 is installed or else you won't be able to bring up the resource editor in a Fortran project.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Thanks, I have now got SP1 installed and the Resource View is visible.
It contains three entries: 'Grade' (the name of my project) and 'Miscellaneous Files' twice. Beside them is a rectangle with a line and small circle on the left. I cannot click on them or do anything with them. I think they may be left over from failed attempts to display them.
Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
What happens if you double-click on the .rc in Solution Explorer?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I took your grade.rc and resource.h files, edited the grade.rc as you showed, created dummy bmp and ico files, and was able to open the grade.rc in the resource editor by double-clicking on it. You should see something like this:

0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
If I double click on Grade.rc, I get the message "The document ......grade.rc is already open - do you wish to close it" - I reply Yes (I have always been getting this message). Now nothing happens.
When I go to View|Other Windows|Resource View is greyed out - I don't know why, it was available before.
I'm using Visual Studio withVB2010 and Visual Fortran - I don't if that is causing the problem.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Does your VS install also include VC++? It needs to.

Try removing the .rc file from the project and re-adding it.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
I've tried removing it and re-adding it - it makes no difference.

I have VC++ installed. I created a small VC++ project the Resource View is available and it looks like your screen grab on a previous post. But with Visual Fortran, Resource View is greyed out. I'm sure it was available yesterday after installing SP1.
Resource View is also available with VB2010.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I am not sure what to suggest at this point. Maybe uninstall and reinstall Fortran. You might try, as an experiment, creating a new project, adding all the files to it, and see what happens.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
When I create a new Visual Fortran project and click on the .rc file on the Solution Explorer in the .rc tab on the main window thefile is displayed as a directory structure and I can view the dialogs (as your diagram from a previous post).

On my projectwhen I click on the .rc file I get the message that the file is already open do I want to close it etc. But in the .rc tab on the main window the file is displayed as a text file.

As you suggested, I copied my .rc file (and the ico files) into the new project and it is displayed correctly.

Therefore your suggestion on creating a new project and importing the files looks the way forward. How can I be sure that I copy the project settingsso that the project will run correctly? Or is there a solution to the fact that the /rc file is being displayed as text.
0 Kudos