Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Upgraded to Visual Studio 2010

davidgraham
Beginner
I've just updated to Visual Studio 2010 Full, before I was on Visual Studio 2008 shell.

With Visual Studio 2008 shell I had to use the program 'ResEdit' to edit the resouce file - to edit the dialogs etc.
With Visusal Studio 2010 full I should be able to edit the dialogs directly - how do I do this, back in VF6.6 there was a resource tab.

Also how do I get the watch window to be displayed when debugging - I can't see anything that looks like it, just an 'immediate' window.

I'm sure the answers are simple its just getting used to the new terminology.

Thanks
David
0 Kudos
79 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ah, that I think I can answer. Try this.

Uninstall Fortran.
Delete the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rc
Do a "repair" on Visual Studio
Reinstall Fortran.

This should fix up the .rc issue.

As for the project settings, you could "diff" the old and new .vfproj files, or look at the Command Line property page for the compiler and linker. but you will have to compare these for each configuration.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Steve,
I tried unistall/install but that made no difference.
Therefore I created a new project and added all the files to it, changed some of the project settings and it compiles and the resources are displayed correctly.
The problem now is that when I run my program nographics is displayed on the screen.
The program is a CAD application (like AutoCAD).
I have no idea why there is no graphics, it is going through the routines,maybe something is missing from some project settings. Do you have any ideas?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Did you create the project as the correct type (Windowing, QuickWin, etc.)?
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Windowing with MDI (maybe it should have been SDI) as there is only one main form.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I don't know that makes much difference as it's just the sample code that is filled in - the project is otherwise the same. Are you willing/able to attach a ZIP of the project (after doing a Build > Clean)?
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Steve,
I have attached the project. I did a Build - not sure about Build Clean.
I have cut down the project as much as I could in 1 hr.
When the project runs it should draw some text and graphics on the screen then it will ask for a licence key.You should not have to go any further than that. I don't think the menu or tool bar buttons will work as I have removed most of the functionality.
Hope you can see what the problem is, its been a long process. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The program works for me - I just ran the EXE that you had built. I get the window with text and graphics and the license window.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Steve,
That was strange.
I have found that it works on 64 bit machinesbut not 32 bit ones.

I have done some more investigation and went back to the original project where I couldn'tsee the dialogs and now they are available. I don't know why but I now have a verson that I can view the rc file and it displays the graphics.

There are some strange effects - if I go into properties is displays all the options, but if I go to the cut down project I sent to you it only displays some options - there is nothing below Fortran and the include directories are blank but the command line contains them.

I do wonder if there is a conflict with running Visual Fortran and Visual Basic on Visual Studio before Visual Studio 2010the two were seperate - but I have been using them both for the last few weeks.

Thanks for your patience and help. Hopefullyit will contunueworking.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
That is odd. If you need further help, let us know.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
I should have tested this before but I have just added a new contolto form and it said the rc file was not in the correct format and it would update it.
It now gives many errors and the rc file is shown as a text file and my project won't compile.

"error RC2144 : PRIMARY LANGUAGE ID not a number"

also

"error RC2135 : file not found" for the icons

There are someother errors as well.

Looking at the rc file of a new project and my project I cannot see any problem with the language definition or icons (they do exist in the same directory as the rc file).

I could send the rc file if you want but you have previous ones.

Also when placing the control I could not see in the properties, the location values of the control, I sometimes use these to fine tune the placing of controls -are they there?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I need to talk to the VS integration developers about the resource editor issues. There are numerous things not working and I want to get them sorted out. It may take a few days. Please do attach the "updated" .rc so I can see what it is doing.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
A not-so-random question - which other VS versions do you have installed? By any chance do you have the VS2012 beta installed?
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
I aso have VS2008 Shell installed. I have migrated to VS2100.

I have attached the rc file.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
David,

I have been going crazy trying to figure this out. I have not gotten anywhere and asked our VS integration developers for help. Our issue ID is DPD200235387. Here are some things I learned:

1. If I take your project to a second system that has just VS2010, I can open the .rc file without problems.
2. On the same system where I do have problems, if I open the project in VS2012 (with our soon-to-be-released next compiler version), it works
3. I find many complaints on the web from VC 2010 Express users of the same behavior
4. If I add your .rc to a C++ project, I can edit it there
5. Even though I can't edit it, I can still build the project - the resource compiler has no problems with it

For now, I suggest that if you want to edit the resources, create a C++ project with the .rc, .ico, etc. files and do it there. Then copy the changed files back (or even just add them from your original project, perhaps addint to the include path.)

If I learn any more about this, I will let you know here.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Steve,
Thanks for all your help on this.
Rather than use a C++ project to edit the .rc file, I will just continue to use resedit as I can edit the file in situ.
If you do get a solution, would it be possible to email me.
Thanks,
David
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I will let you know if I learn anything. This is a very strange problem...
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

We never did figure out what the problem was here, and as VS2010 is no longer supported development closed the issue. It doesn't happen (as far as I can tell) in newer versions of VS.

0 Kudos