Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Upgrading from Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6B

McMullin__Gregg
Beginner

I have a task to upgrade the development environment loaded into a Windows XP ( service pack 2/3 ) Virtual Machine.  The current version of Fortran installed and used is 'Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6B'.  The instructions for building the development environment specify that I need to install Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6B after XP SP2 upgrade, but before XP SP3 upgrade.

After searching around some, I discovered this forum and and I am hoping to gain some insight as to what I need to consider if I want to upgrade from the Compaq compiler to a more modern compiler ( i,e, Intel Visual Fortran ). Currently, I am limited in scope of the changes to environment I can make.  A few more items in my build environment

• Visual Studio 2010 ( .NET 4.0 )
  • Visual Studio 6.0
  • Visual Studio 2003
  • NUnit 2.3.10
  • NAnt 0.90.3780.0

Is there a particular version of the Intel Visual Fortran compiler I would be limited to based on my environment?

Thanks for any insight!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
McMullin__Gregg
Beginner

Following up a bit.  I can see that the Compaq Fortran Compiler is tied to the instance of Visual Studio 6. I am guessing that I may have to move away from Visual Studio 6.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

If you are restricted to Windows XP (SP3) and VS2010, the newest compatible version is probably Intel Fortran Composer 2013 SP1, see https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/05/5b/Release_Notes_F_2013SP1_W_EN-u5.pdf . I have used that combination on a (native, not VM) Windows XP-SP3 PC.

0 Kudos
McMullin__Gregg
Beginner

Appreciate the quick feedback!  I will investigate that today.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

For your information, if you wanted to use that older version you'd buy a license for the current version and then follow the steps at https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/older-version-product

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

VS2017 has optional components to support XP run-time target, but you would require a newer OS on the build platform.

0 Kudos
McMullin__Gregg
Beginner

Given that I can now upgrade my development VM to Windows 7 and VS2015 I am wondering if this is what I should be looking at:

• Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 Composer Edition

I can download a trial at:

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Your VM must be a 64-bit version of Windows if you wish to develop using the 2018 compiler. Check the specifications of the VM image with the requirements for the Parallel Studio version to be installed. Details are in the release notes of Parallel Studio.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, for a trial that is fine. The trial version includes Fortran and C++ - when you purchase if you want only Fortran you can buy the "Composer Edition for Fortran". When you get the license for that it would probably be best to uninstall the trial and install the version you purchased.

0 Kudos