Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Using Fortran Composer 2013 within VS2015

Zoran_A_
Beginner

Up to now I used Intel compilers ( Fortran (w_fcompxe_2013.4.190) and C++ (w_ccompxe_2013.4.190) ) together with VS2012. Now, using Microsoft BizSparc program I have a chance to switch to VS 2015. But, after trying to compile an old code within VS2015, it reports that it cannot recognize the Fortran part of the code? Can anybody let me know if I can integrate Fortran and C++ 2013 into VS2015! Many thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe-compilers-required-microsoft-visual-studio

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It seems psxe2015 no longer supports vs2015 due to Microsoft updates so close to end of life of psxe2015. Too bad customers are declining to submit problem reports about trouble with the later psxe. But maybe the reference Steve gave should be corrected.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

@Tim - Was there a particular problem you experienced or are aware of with a particular combo of VS 2015 and PSXE 2015?
What do you feel should be corrected in the article?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Kevin,

I take Steve's "No" as confirmation that psxe2015 no longer works with VS2015, although the later updates of psxe2015 were compatible with VS2015.1 (as the document implies).  There is breakage in the INCLUDE and library path setup when psxe2015 is run with VS2015.2 or .3, due to the changes Microsoft made, as discussed elsewhere on the forums.  I suppose those might not always prevent a Fortran build, although they are fatal to C/C++.  I don't know how to downgrade from VS2015.3 to VS2015.1 nor whether such a move could be satisfactory even if the application doesn't care about msvc++ features.  In my recent comparisons between psxe2015, 2016, and 2017, I had to run psxe2015 with VS2013, while the newer psxe versions could run with either VS.  

There appeared to be a regression on my customer's ifort application from psxe2015 to psxe2016u3, but the customer did not agree to submit problem reports, having no intention of using newer compilers, even though his license was current.  Even with psxe2015/VS2013, I could not fully reconcile the behavior of a build under VS GUI or linux command line with one from Windows command line, and several ifort options didn't appear to work as documented.  Older ifort versions remain popular even with people who say they want full AVX/AVX2 performance.  They don't like devoting resources into checking out these version dependencies.

For the application in question, ifort 2015 required several additional sets of omp simd directives to achieve full performance, and could not vectorize the most important loop which ifort 2017 could optimize with omp simd private.  The application required setting  -Qprec-div-  -Qip- for command line build with newer ifort even though -Qprec-div- should be the default.  With gfortran also on win64 it was important to set gradual underflow because gfortran doesn't account for the default setting of win64. I didn't determine whether -Qftz- was sufficient for ifort or whether it was necessary to set gradual underflow at run time as gfortran would require (ifort 2015 but not 2016 worked on linux with default ftz setting).  The only thing I considered strange about the application is high register pressure (reported correctly in opt-report).   Several hot loops are using all 16 AVX registers.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The OP was mixing PSXE 2013 with VS2015, which isn't a supported combo; hence Steve's "No" reply.

Visual Studio updates are implemented as Windows updates; similar to MS Office and other MS products. These should be visible under: Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates then under Microsoft Visual Studio 2015.

I will look for the other problems in the forum you mentioned. Thank you for the pointer.

0 Kudos