Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Using Intel Fortran in Amazon AWS EC2 instances

Gregory_P_
Beginner

Do Intel Fortran and C++ compilers work in Amazon AWS EC2 instances? What is the best type of license to purchase for use in EC2 instances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I don't recall anyone asking that question before! Not knowing a lot about EC2, I think that it's a virtual machine that has some combination of software loaded (such as a version of Linux.) We have customers using our compilers in VMs all the time - no special license is required, though you do need to make sure you honor the terms of the license - if you have a Named User license, you're the only one who may use the compiler.

A complication, though, may be our use of "activating" licenses on a system, based on the Ethernet MAC address. If your EC2 instance always uses the same MAC, that should be ok. If the MAC may change, that could be a problem.

Am I correct in understanding you want to do compiles in the EC2 instance? No license is required to run applications built with the Intel compilers.

0 Kudos
Gregory_P_
Beginner

You are correct in understanding that we want to do compiles in the EC2 instances. If we have an Amazon AWS EC2 instance that is on all the time with a constant mac address and hostname, can we use flexlm to manage a floating license for Intel Fortran?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, if that hostname is reachable, it can serve a floating license.

0 Kudos
Gregory_P_
Beginner

Will the following specific type of license work, and is there an option for 64-bit, or 64-bit standard?

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016, Linux OS, Composer Edition for Fortran and C++, Floating – 2 users license

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

32 and 64 bit is included - we don't separate them. If you install on 64-bit Linux, you need to have the gcc 32-bit support also installed if you want to build 32-bit.

0 Kudos
Gregory_P_
Beginner

Steve - Thanks for your advice. Could you confirm that this specific product will work in EC2 instances with Linux OS on Amazon AWS (do I need to specify anything else when ordering this product for use on Amazon AWS?):

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016, Linux OS, Composer Edition for Fortran and C++, Floating – 2 users license

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

There's nothing else you need to specify. I can't promise that it will work, but I know of no reason why it shouldn't. You might want to install a free 30-day trial on a sample instance just to see if there are issues (though as I said if the MAC address changes the license check may fail.) As I said, we have customers using our compilers on VMs all the time.

If you do run into any problems, do let us know and we'll be glad to help you resolve them.

0 Kudos