Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

VS 2013 Problem with XE 2016 Update 4

Ted_Lillys
Novice

Hello all

I recently updated my compiler (see the attached About VS 2103.txt which contains all of the tools installed) and when I try to create a new project, I don't see any options for Intel Projects.  I checked the software update center, no new updates are available. 

Any clue as to why I don't see Intel options?

Ted

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

PGI Fortran is visible in your About.txt and in a recent post Steve said we generally hear these don’t mix well and thus don’t recommend having both installed/integrated. I don’t know what options you may have to separate them. If you desire keeping both Fortran compilers, if you qualify, Microsoft offers their free Visual Studio 2015 Community edition. Perhaps an option is to integrate your Intel C++ and Fortran compilers into that edition, leaving your PGI Fortran integrated with VS2013.

0 Kudos
Ted_Lillys
Novice

Thanks Kevin, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Ted

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Ted,

Due to (stated) incompatibilities with simultaneous MS VS integration of PGI and IFV, might I suggest you create and use two different User Accounts, each with one of the VS integrations (TedPGI, TedIFV might be a good choice).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Ted_Lillys
Novice

Unfortunately, our IT department won't allow the dual profiles for personnel.

Are there separate versions of Parallel Studio XE 2017 that are Fortran only?  From looking at the website, Composer comes with C++ and Fortran.  The updaters our IT staff have procured include "parallel_studio_xe_2017_update1_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe" and the like.  Are there separate licenses for the compilers?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Yes, there are separate versions in the sense there are unique downloads for the compilers either individually or together, and you may purchase subscriptions to C++ or Fortran or both together.

Depending on your purchase the license file generated will contain specific product codes keyed to match the compilers purchased. The updater your IT procured only contains Fortran product. There is be a similar C++ only download named,parallel_studio_xe_2017_update1_composer_edition_for_cpp_setup.exe. The larger file containing both is named, parallel_studio_xe_2017_update1_composer_edition_online_setup.exe.

0 Kudos
Ted_Lillys
Novice

Thanks Kevin.  So, would the requirements for installing the update for Fortran be satisfied if I had a professional version of VS2105 as opposed to the community version?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
Ted_Lillys
Novice

Reinstalled VS 2015 Community Version, accessed the custom install options to add C++ compiler and Tool and then tried to install the Fortran update to 2017 and opted for 2015 integration - all fixed.  Thanks everyone for suggestions and info.

Ted

0 Kudos