Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Very slow editor response in Visual Studio

skinner__karl
New Contributor I

Hello, I'm getting very slow response in the visual studio editor, key presses can take up to 2 seconds to appear on the screen. My other applications seem to be responding normally. It seemed to get slower with time, so I checked system memory usage for the VS application and it was 310Mb. I restarted VS, did a compile attempt again and memory usage was 150Mb. I know this is not a good description of my problem but I'm hoping someone can kindly point me in the right direction. My system info shown below

best regards

karl skinner

Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Shell (Integrated)
Version 12.0.21005.1 REL
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.6.01055

Installed Version: IDE Standard

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 1 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows*   Package ID: w_comp_lib_2017.1.143
Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 1 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2013, Version 17.0.0040.12,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

In some cases this is due to advanced editor settings. You can try disabling some or all advanced editing options in Tools > Options > Text Editor > Fortran > Advanced to see whether that helps. For some cases the slowness related to the Browsing/Navigation Database.

0 Kudos
Rob1
Beginner

Changing this one setting fixed the slowness for me.

Thanks Kevin.

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear all,

This problem is always bothered me. The visual studio versions include 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019, the intel Fortran version include 2013 to 2020. The perform looks like this: after open the project the editor response fast, but after more than ten times modification of code, the editor become slower and slower. Another perform is: if I modified the Fortran code and then switch the cursor to another code window (for example, the c++ code), the editor response fast. 

I have tried all possible editor options in VS. Could anyone help me to take a look at it?

Thanks,

Tang Laoya

Andrew_Smith
New Contributor III

If you regularly close files you have edited, the slowness can be managed.

It could be related to the browsing / navigation database since that function never works. But the slowness builds up as you do code changes so I think is more likely to do with the internal log of code changes being too slow.

Like Zhangdong said, the performance when editing Microsoft c++ is orders or magnitude better, never any slowdowns despite the larger amount of background parsing that goes on in c++.

I have used Fortran for years but the barely functional integration of Fortran into Visual Studio is forcing me to drop Fortran.

0 Kudos