Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Vista again

davidspurr
Beginner
Now have my new Vista64 PC and about to install IVF. For the present I will use VSPPE.

Install instructions state: "On Windows Vista, Visual Studio must be run as Administrator"

AFAIK I only have one account on the PC; ie. "David", which shows as being an "Administrator" account.

Is that sufficient ie. I just install VS under this account & it will automatically be "run as Administrator"?

Also a purely windows question - is my "David" account the same as "the Administrator" account?
[EDIT]: have resolved after further searching. Ans = "no" - have to separately enable "the Administrator" account.

Follow up Qn is then, is my normal "David" account sufficient for installing VS, or do I need to login as "the Administrator"?

Thanks
David
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
On Vista, programs are not run as administrator even if you are one, unless you ask it to explicitly. This can be done by right clicking on the program/shortcut and selecting "Run as Administrator" or you can modify the shortut's "compatibility" property to always do so.

Microsoft says that you must do this for VS2005, and indeed if you don't, lots of things don't work. It is all explained in the Installation Guide and links provided.

You should also install the VS2005 SP1 and VS2005 Vista Compatibility update as instructed. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't give us a VSPPE with SP1 already applied.
0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
Thanks Steve

re VS2005 SP1:

Is that the "Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite Service Pack 1" I have to DL & install (all 431.7 MB ?).

I did not find a separate Standard or Professional SP1 download.

David
0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
I decided to DL the 431 MB file (not really a big deal. Only took ~6min). Now to install. A couple of questions though:

1. Install notes recommend: Install VS > apply SP1 > apply Vista Compatibility update > Install IVF.

Is it possible to follow this sequence if installing from the "w_fc_p_10.1.013.exe" file that contains both VSPPE and IVF?

ie. will it first install VSPEE, then allow me to apply the updates before installing IVF?

2. On the suck & see principle, I did start the install process but it wants to install into the "Program Files (x86)" directory. Does this mean "w_fc_p_10.1.013.exe" is an IA-32 install only?

I note from the install instructions that "New users developing for IA-32 or Intel 64 architecture systems should select" "w_fc_p_10.1.013.exe". ie, "for" not "on"?

Is VSPEE not available for developing on Vista64? (w_fc_p_10.1.xxx_intel64.exe does not include VSPPE).

David

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
2. The Intel64 compilers, so far, are cross compilers, running in 32-bit mode, normally installed in Program Files (x86). You can install all 3 (32-bit, Intel64, and IA-64) compilers there, or you can install them individually.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is only one SP1 for VS2005, all editions. Yeah, it's enormous.

VS2005 and the Intel compilers are 32-bit applications, but they run fine on Intel 64.

If you need VSPPE, you must install the larger package, which supports Vista x64.. And yes, the install instructions mean to say "for" and not "on". But that is not excluding "on". As the system requirements state, you can develop "on" either one.

See also here for an important step if using VSPPE on x64.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
As for the order of installing things, I have found that VS2005 SP1 can be installed on top of an already-installed ifort without problems. VS2003 and earlier tended to require reinstalls of Fortran if you installed a service pack.
0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
Steve & Tim

Thanks for the help & tips. Remote debugger fix program path needs updating though? Should be

C:Program Files (x86)IntelDownloadIntelFortranCompiler10.1installs emote debuggerx64 dbgsetup.exe

Note: "Program Files (x86)" not "Program Files" and "IntelFortranCompiler10.1" not "IntelFortranCompiler10".

Now installed. Just a couple of uncertain parts, but seems to be working, at least for Win32 (one program compiled anyway).

Same program did not compile under x64 though - got error message
Error 1 Error: There is no matching specific function for this generic function reference. [GETFILEINFOQQ] I:xxxxxxProgramFaultsSourceGeographic_data.f90 202
Will investigate, but not clear why OK in Win32, but not x64.

David

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The GETFILEINFOQQ call probably failed because you have the HANDLE argument declared as INTEGER(4). It should be INTEGER(INT_PTR_KIND()).

0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
Steve

Thanks again. I just discovered the integer(4) issue & came to "report back" when I found your post. Seems there may be one or two traps switching between IA-32 & x64!

David
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Any code that declares address or "handle" entities as INTEGER*4 is going to have compatibility issues. Luckily, these are usually easily identified and corrected. Old Win32 API programs can be particularly troublesome, as I found when making sure all the sample programs built on all three platforms.
0 Kudos