Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Visual Studio 2017 debug crach when showing array

jansson
Beginner

Hi,

Me and my co workers all have an annoying problem with Visual Studio crashing when we expand an array while debugging a program. Its reproduced by this program.

program Console1

implicit none

! Variables
    double precision array(1)
    ! Body of Console1
    array(1)=1
    print *, 'Hello World'

end program Console1

I made a new Project with an "Intel Visual Fortran" "Console Application" with "Main Program Code" from VS File New menu. Only change was adding a array variable. Built it in default Debug x86, and run.

If I hoover the mouse over the array variable I get the the small tool tip

array1.png

But when I try to click the small arrow to show the values of the array Visual Studio first first seem to freeze then crash.

array2.png

I can "nail" it to the code, but then expanding the array cause a crash.
If I click the Locals window I get a Crash.
Though, I am able to show values of arrays in Watch window.

Is it possible to disable this popup tool tip for arrays?

Can you reproduce this? Suggestions?

Cheers,
Magnus

My Setup:
I use Windows 7

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on IA-32, version 18.0.3 Package ID: w_comp_lib_2018.3.210

Below is all VS2017 info:
----
Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2017
Version 15.8.2
VisualStudio.15.Release/15.8.2+28010.2016
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.7.02558

Installed Version: Professional

Visual C++ 2017   00370-20008-15536-AA629
Microsoft Visual C++ 2017

ASP.NET and Web Tools 2017   15.8.05077.0
ASP.NET and Web Tools 2017

C# Tools   2.9.0-beta8-63208-01
C# components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Update 3 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows*   Package ID: w_comp_lib_2018.3.210
Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Update 3 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017, Version 18.0.0040.15, Copyright © 2002-2018 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

JavaScript Language Service   2.0
JavaScript Language Service

Microsoft JVM Debugger   1.0
Provides support for connecting the Visual Studio debugger to JDWP compatible Java Virtual Machines

Microsoft MI-Based Debugger   1.0
Provides support for connecting Visual Studio to MI compatible debuggers

Microsoft Visual C++ Wizards   1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ Wizards

Microsoft Visual Studio VC Package   1.0
Microsoft Visual Studio VC Package

MLGen Package Extension   1.0
MLGen Package Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

NuGet Package Manager   4.6.0
NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

ProjectServicesPackage Extension   1.0
ProjectServicesPackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

Test Adapter for Boost.Test   1.0
Enables Visual Studio's testing tools with unit tests written for Boost.Test.  The use terms and Third Party Notices are available in the extension installation directory.

Test Adapter for Google Test   1.0
Enables Visual Studio's testing tools with unit tests written for Google Test.  The use terms and Third Party Notices are available in the extension installation directory.

Visual Basic Tools   2.9.0-beta8-63208-01
Visual Basic components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

Visual C++ for Linux Development   1.0.9.27924
Visual C++ for Linux Development

Visual Studio Code Debug Adapter Host Package   1.0
Interop layer for hosting Visual Studio Code debug adapters in Visual Studio

Visual Studio Tools for CMake   1.0
Visual Studio Tools for CMake  

----

Once I got this stack trace from VS:

System.NullReferenceException
  HResult=0x80004003
  Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  Source=Intel.CommonTools
  StackTrace:
   at Intel.CommonTools.Annotations.AnnotationFactory.get_provider()
   at Intel.CommonTools.Annotations.AnnotationFactory.TryInit()
   at Intel.CommonTools.Annotations.AnnotationFactory.<.ctor>b__16_1(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

What you have discovered may be yet another incompatibility of VS2017 versions more recent than the latest supported version, which is version 15.6 (you reported 15.8.2). Please see https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/784330#comment-1926418 .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

What you have discovered may be yet another incompatibility of VS2017 versions more recent than the latest supported version, which is version 15.6 (you reported 15.8.2). Please see https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/784330#comment-1926418 .

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This is a reappearance of an issue that was resolved in 18.0.3 with an older VS2017 update. but broke again with a newer VS17.

0 Kudos
jansson
Beginner

Thank you for the fast answer!

0 Kudos