Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

Using custom MPI_REDUCE functions (MPI_OP_CREATE) fails.

Reuter__Leonard
Beginner

I am using IFORT 18.0.3 on CentOS 7.4.
The code example (bottom, from https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/issues/3409#issuecomment-296904409) compiles and runs well with gfortran7/open-mpi and pgi/open-mpi. (independent of the open-mpi version)

However, with ifort/open-mpi it gives a segmentation fault iff run on two or more cores. With ifort/intel-mpi the code does not even compile:

mpi_example_5_21.f90(31): error #7061: The characteristics of dummy argument 1 of the associated actual procedure differ from the characteristics of dummy argument 1 of the dummy procedure.   [MY_USER_FUNCTION]
   call MPI_Op_create(user_fn=my_user_function, commute=.true., op=myOp)
------------------------------^
mpi_example_5_21.f90(31): error #7062: The characteristics of dummy argument 2 of the associated actual procedure differ from the characteristics of dummy argument 2 of the dummy procedure.   [MY_USER_FUNCTION]
------------------------------^

Thanks a lot for any help!

Code:

module foo
contains
subroutine my_user_function( invec, inoutvec, len, type )
  use, intrinsic :: iso_c_binding, only : c_ptr, c_f_pointer
  use mpi_f08
  type(c_ptr), value :: invec, inoutvec
  integer :: len 
  type(MPI_Datatype) :: type
  real, pointer :: invec_r(:), inoutvec_r(:)
  if (type%MPI_VAL == MPI_REAL%MPI_VAL) then
     call c_f_pointer(invec, invec_r, (/ len /) )
     call c_f_pointer(inoutvec, inoutvec_r, (/ len /) )
  inoutvec_r = invec_r + inoutvec_r
  end if
end subroutine
end module

program mpi_example_5_21
   use mpi_f08
   use foo, only: my_user_function
   implicit none

type(MPI_Op) :: myOp
   integer :: rank, nproc
   real :: R(100), S(100) = 1.0 

call MPI_Init
   call MPI_Comm_rank(comm=MPI_COMM_WORLD, rank=rank)
   call MPI_Comm_size(comm=MPI_COMM_WORLD, size=nproc)

call MPI_Reduce(sendbuf=S, recvbuf=R, count=size(S), datatype=MPI_REAL, op=myOp, root=0, comm=MPI_COMM_WORLD)

call MPI_Finalize

if (rank == 0) write (*,*) merge('PASS', 'FAIL', all(R == S(1)*nproc))
end program mpi_example_5_21

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Reuter__Leonard
Beginner

In case this is the wrong place to ask the above question, could you tell me a better one?

Thank you very much!

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

My install of the latest Intel MPI doesn't include an mpi_f08 module (puzzling), but it doesn't include sources for mpi.mod either. You would need to compare the declaration of the procedure arguments of MPI_op_create in your version of that module (assuming you have the source) with your actual routines. Looking at mpi-forum.org documentation for MPI_op_create, I see that the INVEC and INOUTVEC arguments are described as arrays of some type, whereas in your code they are TYPE(C_PTR). Maybe mpi_f08 defines them that way, I don't know. I do note that you give those arguments the VALUE attribute but don't give the procedure the BIND(C) specification. In this case, VALUE doesn't do what you evidently think it does - it says that an anonymous copy of the argument is passed by reference. I could well believe that this error leads to issues with the other MPI implementations.