Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28457 Discussions

Visual Studio 2017 not yet supported

Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

On March 7, Microsoft released Visual Studio 2017. Intel Parallel Studio XE does not yet support this - the Intel folks will let you know when it does.

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 4 release is now available with support for Microsoft Visual Studio 2017.

(Note: There was no Update 3 release of Parallel Studio XE 2017 for Windows).

Please start a new forum thread for any issues or questions. Thank you.

0 Kudos
russell_r_
Beginner

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 4

Will not install as it can't detect that I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 installed and working.

This version of Parallel Studio is supposed to work with VS 2917.

Is there a new forum for this?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Others have started separate new threads about problems they have experienced. That is preferred.

Others experienced integration or install issues but not a failure to detect VS2017 as I am reading them.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/734101
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/734035
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/734040

As with others, in starting a new thread please be prepared for our request for your installation logs. You can wait to provide those until our initial reply to provide those via a private reply (via Send Author a Message) if you wish.

0 Kudos
S__MPay
Beginner

Sorry to interrupt the topic, but as a fresh installation, what are the benefits of installing Intel fortran on visual studio 2017 over visual studio 2015?

Should I simply choose visual studio 2015 to avoid the troubles? I could not find any features in Parallel Studio XE 2017 specifically for visual studio 2017 in release notes.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

There is no advantage from the Fortran perspective. Many customers want to use the newer VS for other reasons, not the least of which is the free Community edition (since MS no longer makes the 2015 version easily available.) If you already have VS2015, use that, or if the included VS2015-based Fortran environment suffices, use that.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Further to #26 I would add that recently released versions of VS are normally a world of pain until we have had a few subsequent Fortran updates..

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The only issue I have seen with VS2017 is a VS bug that it can't locate the Resource Compiler DLL. This is not Fortran-specific, and Microsoft has acknowledged it. The workaround is simple enough (copy rcdll.dll into the folder named in the VS message.) Otherwise, I find the VS17 "home page" interface to be somewhat annoyingly useless, but it works.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:
The only issue I have seen with VS2017 is a VS bug that it can't locate the Resource Compiler DLL. This is not Fortran-specific, and Microsoft has acknowledged it. The workaround is simple enough (copy rcdll.dll into the folder named in the VS message.) Otherwise, I find the VS17 "home page" interface to be somewhat annoyingly useless, but it works.

That is good to know and unusual, VS is such a complex product it seems best to me to wait for and update or two for that also.... If you just want to use fortran then there never seems to be anything  that greatly enhances life in newer VS versions. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

There are certain rules in Life.

The most important rule is:

When Intel Fortran does not work - ie one gets an rc.exe not found error check the latest Steve posts,

Oh well -- rule relearnt. 

Italy is wonderful this time of the year.  Everyone over here uses MATLAB and I sort of look on bemused. 

John

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

So things with VS 2017 and the Intel Beta got interesting with the last upgrades of the Windows Preview.  First the Color theme VSIX stopped working -- then the Beta started to throw interesting problems trying to create a new Fortran job.  I tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling multiple times. 

Finally back with Vs2015 and Intel 2017.  Pity but I cannot waste another day on it.

Something is broken as the Intel Beta installer never finishers on the latest Windows Preview and VS 2017 croaks.

I am aware of the risks, but what the heck - look ma no hands

John

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Additional information on VS2017 support is provided in this article:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-tools-integration-to-vs2017-issue

0 Kudos
anand_k_
Beginner

Sorry for commenting here. I did not know where to ask this. I am trying to use ifort from parallel studio.  every time i use IFORT is  echoing the version number and its copyrights. Is there a way to get rid this?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Add /nologo to the ifort command line to suppress that output.

0 Kudos