Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26736 Discussions

Visual Studio doesn't break for Fortran run-time error (SOLVED)

David_Billinghurst
New Contributor II

I have solved this, but thought it was worth a post as I didn't find a fix online.

Using Visual Studio 2019, Intel Fortran 2019U5 on Windows 10.  The application is a C# WPF main calling a Fortran DLL.

When debugging with /check:bounds or /check:shape, I got a pop-up window with "Visual Fortran run-time error" but Visual Studio no longer broke at the line of code with the error.  It used to work, but since then I had upgraded VS and made other changes.

I eventually found that the problem was the Visual Studio exception handling settings.  In Debug > Window > Exception Settings I need to (re)set to break when Win32 Exception 0xC0000005 Access Violation is thrown.  This would be a useful addition to the manual.  Perhaps a note documenting which exceptions are raised and the importance of catching them in the development environment.

Root cause was a colleague who had fiddled with the settings and committed the change to the VS project.

0 Kudos
0 Replies