Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28384 Discussions

Visual Studio macerating /Fd compiler option?

Norman_K_
New Contributor I

Dear All

I am using Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 v15.5.4 with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 17.0.7.272 [Intel(R) 64]

And debugging is not working - not stopping at break points, and when the first fatal error is encountered I am not getting a line number.

I currently compile with the following, as copied from the VS project|properties|command line

/nologo /debug:full /Od /fpp /recursive /standard-semantics /Qdiag-error-limit:50 /stand:f15 /warn:declarations /warn:unused /warn:ignore_loc /warn:truncated_source /warn:interfaces /module:"x64\Debug\\" /object:"x64\Debug\\" /Fd"x64\Debug\vc150.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c

I checked each of these against the documentation and noticed:

1) The documentation says /Fd[:filename] but there is no : between the /Fd and the filename on the command line shown above.

2) There is no file x64\Debug\vc150.pdb (so I guess this is why I get no line numbers?), and,

3) I am not sure which option or options in VS generate this option on the command line but when I try to add the "correct" version in the additional options box, I get shouted at along the lines of:

ifort: command line warning #10122: overriding '/Fdx64\Debug\vc150.pdb' with '/Fdx64\Debug\vc150.pdb'

So what do I do next? Is the /Fd thing a bug or irrelevant? How do I get the debugger back working?

Thanks

Norman

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Norman_K_
New Contributor I

OK scap this post

1) The /Fd:filename thing was a red herring

2) The Intel documentation is wrong and looks like it should read /Fd[:][filename]

3) In order to generate the .pdb file the /Fd option is not enough, "project|linker|debugging|Generate debug info" must also be set to "Yes (/DEBUG)"

4) The debugger now works again

5) It would be really useful if the Intel documentation stated clearly that the compiler switch /Fd may be necessary but is not sufficient to generate the .pdb file and that there is a linker switch  which must be set as well.

Case closed

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Norman_K_
New Contributor I

OK scap this post

1) The /Fd:filename thing was a red herring

2) The Intel documentation is wrong and looks like it should read /Fd[:][filename]

3) In order to generate the .pdb file the /Fd option is not enough, "project|linker|debugging|Generate debug info" must also be set to "Yes (/DEBUG)"

4) The debugger now works again

5) It would be really useful if the Intel documentation stated clearly that the compiler switch /Fd may be necessary but is not sufficient to generate the .pdb file and that there is a linker switch  which must be set as well.

Case closed

0 Kudos