Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Visual studio 2019 not working with Fortran extension

jeancalgary
Beginner

Always encounter "The Fortan compiler(ifort.exe) can not be found."

Can invoke ifort.exe from comand prompt, installed parallel_studio_xe_2019_update4_composer_edition_setup, Visual Studio have been installed before.

Visual studio could load in fortran project, but when I click build or control, the error pop up.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks very much!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IanH
Honored Contributor II

From within Visual Studio, under Tools > Options, have a look at the page Intel Compilers and Libraries > Visual Fortran > Compilers.  What are the contents of the Executables field for your preferred architecture?  Does clicking Reset change things?

How long is your system path?

0 Kudos
jeancalgary
Beginner

I uninstalled the "parallel_studio_xe_2019_update_4..." and installed the latest "parallel_studio_xe_2020_cluster_edition_setup", same issue happened.

Here is the contents for the "Executables:" field under Tools->Options->Intel Compiler and Tools -> Compilers

$(VSInstallDir)VC\Tools\MSVC\$(VCToolsVersion)\bin\HostX64\x64;$(UniversalCRTSdkDir)bin\$(UCRTVersion)\x64;$(UniversalCRTSdkDir)bin\x64;$(IFortInstallDir)bin\Intel64;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\ide;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\Tools;$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion);$(WindowsSdkDir)bin\x64;$(PATH)

Yes, I did click "Reset"

I assume the system path means $(path), it is very long, about 6176 bytes(if  output it to a file).

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks very much!

0 Kudos
jeancalgary
Beginner

I am still using trial version, but I think it should be the same as licensed version, is it true?

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I believe so.  By the way sometimes things get so bad you need to reinstall windows. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

When I installed the 2020 Update 1 release, it did not integrate properly with VS2019 (it did for VS2017). An uninstall and reinstall of the 2020.1 release fixed that.

I have never, ever needed to reinstall Windows to fix an application problem. And, yes, there is no difference between trial and licensed versions other than the license itself.

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

The path that applications first see when they are started from the start menu or similar, is a combination of a system (administrator) specified path and a user specified path - the dialog box for editing environment variables on windows (type "environment variables" into the start button search box) shows the breakdown.

I'm not sure what the current day situation with Windows 10 is (this might be complete nonsense), but with previous versions of Windows if the system path variable is too long many strange things start happening, failure to find executables supposedly on the path being one of them. One of the symptoms of having a path that is too long was that other environment variables embedded in the path fail to be properly expanded by the shell before applications were started.

Have a read of https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/limitation-to-the-length-of-the-system-path-variable, but bear in mind that it might be out of date.  Actually check that the system path is of unreasonable length before you make any changes.  I'd try and use the Windows provided dialog box for editing environment variables before playing around directly with the registry.  Before changing the system path you should record its current contents, in case you want to revert.

Check also that the environment variable IFortInstallDir has been set to a sensible value.

Note I'm not talking about the length of the path in a intel fortran command prompt (one accessed via the Intel Parallel Studio XE... start menu items) - that can perhaps be arbitrarily long, what I'm talking about is the length of the path that you get in an "ordinary" command prompt (one started by simply going Start > Run > cmd.exe).  That's the path that Visual Studio sees when it starts up.  6000 characters for a path in an ordinary command prompt would be extreme.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Steve Lionel (Ret.) (Blackbelt) wrote:

When I installed the 2020 Update 1 release, it did not integrate properly with VS2019 (it did for VS2017). An uninstall and reinstall of the 2020.1 release fixed that.

I have never, ever needed to reinstall Windows to fix an application problem. And, yes, there is no difference between trial and licensed versions other than the license itself.

By all that is the Fortran gods I wish that this was true -- unfortunately for me it is not. 

0 Kudos