Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

Vs2022 17.2.0 preview 3.0 oneAPI 2022.1.3 .vfproj files broken

Jeltz191
Beginner

Not expecting support since this is at bleeding edge, Just a heads up to intel oneAPI devopment team going forward:

When VS2022 recently updated to the latest preview 17.2.0 all the oneAPI Fortran project .vfproj files now break and projects do not load. Creating a new project gives same error. All was working fine in the previous VS2022 preview version prior to this very latest update.

Message is ConsoleFortran.vfproj : error : Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsUpdateSolutionEvents'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{A9F86308-5EA7-485D-BAB8-E8989C3CFBDC}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

Have found no workaround to date short of a complete reinstallation of VS/oneAPI to prior version.

Also any word on when all these login issues are going to be resolved. oneAPI downloads page is non-functional for me for over a week now?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ron_Green

A patch kit to fix this issue is documented and provided HERE

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I have previous experience of VS updates breaking the Fortran integrations requiring a reinstall of Fortran. In reality that is not an Intel problem as is is the MS update that breaks it. I always resist VS updates as the pain is usually not worth the gain. 

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

At this time, the preview versions of Visual Studio are not supported. This thread will be left open for community discussion, but closed for official support.

0 Kudos
JNichols
New Contributor I

Intel has not fully fixed the 17.1 versions of the VSIX files, so it would be a a challenge to assume the preview versions will work.  I usually hang out at the front of the board on the wave, but in this case it appeared to be to big a risk.  I am glad for once I was cautious. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

0 Kudos
Jeltz191
Beginner

It would matter little if the install/uninstall time was minutes or even tens of minutes - just wind it back. Rather than the hours it is in aggregate in practice.

But when you are faced with a dubiously long uninstall/install time for VS2022, then an absolutely outrageous install/uninstall time for oneAPI it becomes a real factor to consider...

It beggars belief that a modern CPU executing billions of instructions per second, and ssd transfer rates of over 100 MB/s can take so long to run what is after all "just" an install program. Something is seriously wrong with the approach taken by these companies as the CPU/SSD must be spending 98% of its time idle waiting just because it can't figure out what next to do. - a complete redesign of the install/uninstall process is required.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Hours, really? That is not my experience there must be some bug or unusual situation in effect if it is taking that long.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I uninstalled and reinstalled VS2022 twice yesterday. No more than 15 minutes each one.

0 Kudos
Jeltz191
Beginner
Ahem and then also the 3 oneapi toolkits full uninstall and install with default installs
I did say in aggregate. Oh yes and a preliminary oneapi reinstall just to prove vs2022 had not trampled on oneapi. My vs2022 is not a minimal install either.
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I uninstalled two VS 2017 and 2019 in about 10 minutes on a core i3 with an SSD in the last 15 minutes.

If you have a slow wifi your install times will get longer.  

It is now a lot faster than the olden days. 

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

17.2 changes their VS api. Some key VS functions we need are no longer there.  Our Integrations team is aware of the issue and have new DLLs to call the changed API.  We're working on a solution to integrate with VS 17.2 and greater.  And trying to figure out our release schedule to get these changes out.  I'll put a sticky note on the Forum to warn everyone to not install the 17.2 (preview) or newer until we have this new Integrations into our oneAPI packages for Windows.  

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

The upcoming oneAPI release will support the 17.1 version of VS2022, FYI. Many issues reported with VS2022 up to that version 17.1 were resolved in the upcoming oneAPI release. 

0 Kudos
Jeltz191
Beginner

Many thanks for the heads up. 

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

A patch kit to fix this issue is documented and provided HERE

0 Kudos