Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28633 Discussions

Vtune, Source/Listing files and IVF optimizations

keefer
Beginner
Hi,
I'm using/testing the Beta version of Vtune with IVF code and the MS .NET IDE. The help file for Intel Compilers indicates that I can at least some source line/ assembly code listings for optimized code by specifing -Zi -O2 on the command line. Using the property pages I have tried to persuade the release configuration to generate a .pdb file and the debug configuration to produce optimized code, the latter by specifying /O2 in the command line section. I can get only asm listing info with no source line info. Is there a way to achieve my goal that I've not yet hit upon? I realize that this is somewhat difficult for the complier/Vtune to do, but many of my "hotspots" in unoptimized code seem to be due to latencies caused by inefficient compiler generated machine code sequences. Can I get generate at least source line info (with the understanding that the compilier may be reordering code across statements) that can be used with Vtune?
Thanks and regards,
Keith
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you have applied /Zi both for the compilation and the link, you should be able to get a source view, unless the link step tells you that .pdb information is corrupted. If you drill down into library or OS functions, of course there will be only .asm view. Optimization may cause the events to be associated with the beginning or end of the file, but it should not prevent Vtune from finding source, or asking you to designate a source file.
0 Kudos
keefer
Beginner
Dear Tim,
I guess I had assumed that if both the compiler and linker needed the same switch, the IDE would be smart enough to do it for me. I haven't yet checked to see whether it does or not.
I did get it to work last night, doing just what I described- adding a /O2 to the command line in the debug configuration. I don't know if this was really my problem, but I had remembered some caveat about trying to generate source files for optimized code under XP with some particular build of SP2 installed. When I uninstalled SP2, everything worked as expected.
Since Intel is letting me use Vtune as a beta tester, should I report this incident and to whom?
Thanks and regards,
Keith
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You could have specified /O2 in the Optimization property page.
I would suggest reporting the IDE issue against the compiler via Premier Support. Include as much detail as you can. The IDE may not know about /Zi - it should probably have an option for that so that it can tell the linker.

Message Edited by sblionel on 08-30-2004 10:25 AM

0 Kudos