Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

WHAT IS "GS_REPORT.C"

Roberts__Raymond
Beginner

I am running intel fortran 2019 update 2 on a dell 7810 windows 10. I have a program that I have been using under Intel composer 15 for some time now that runs fine. When I "updated" to composer 2019 and recompile my program I get the following message

gs_report.c not found

you need to find gs-report.c to view the source for the current call stack frame

try one of the following options

any idea what this is about and what error is being thrown??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

First, you are not getting this when you recompile, you're getting it after you rebuild and during a run under the debugger. gs_report.c is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library and is used when a stack overflow is reported. Look for the console window, which may be "behind" the Visual Studio window, for the error messages. This error indicates that your program is overwriting stack. It's an error that earlier versions of Intel Fortran did not detect.

0 Kudos
Roberts__Raymond
Beginner

Thank you Steve, I am glad to see that you are still active on the forum. The program I am trying to run is an internal combustion engine simulation and has many subroutines and functions. I have commented out everything in the main program including all the use statements and still get the same error. I do not get a console window poping up. I have run other programs compiled with the compiler and do not have this problem. SO there is a bug somewhere in my code, are there any tools to help me find the error. At this point it is going to be very difficult to add routines one at a time to find the bug. I have composer 15 installed on another computer that I can run the code with, but that seems to run fine. Is there a way I can use that to find my bug?

I hope retirement is treating you well!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

When it stops in the debugger, use the Stack Frame dropdown (above the source window, usually) to set the context to the routine in your program where the error was detected. The actual corruption may have happened earlier. 

I'm a bit confused by your saying you still get the error if you comment out everything in the main program - this means you have no executable code. Maybe you can attach a screenshot of the Visual Studio window, including the error message? Maybe there's something not obvious from your description.

You could always disable the stack checking option (under Fortran > Run-Time), but I recommend against this unless you have proof it's a false alarm.

0 Kudos
Roberts__Raymond
Beginner

Hello Steve, I have tried a couple of things. First I have run another simulation I have under 32/64 bits and in release and debug modes and all is well with it. So I am pretty sure that I have a code error somewhere in this code.

I have tried to run this code under the following configurations:
Release mode 32 and 64 bits, run them by starting the debugger I get errors (see attached files). 
Release mode 32 and 64 bits, run them without the debugger nothing happens, do error, no console window and no results. 
Debug mode 32 bit debug mode I get an error (see attached file)
Debug mode 64 bit debug mode with or without running the debugger all seems well.

Sorry about the zip file, but it was the only way I could seem to upload it.

I sincerely appreciate your help and time. This is the first time I have run across and error like this and I am lost.

0 Kudos
Roberts__Raymond
Beginner

I think I found the problem. I deleted the project file and and started a new one. Runs fine now. I made no changes to the source code or any of the compiler options. I am not sure what is going on, but my system seems very flaky. I am beginning to think I have bigger issues. Sorry for taking your time.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Interesting - thanks. The errors seem to have been triggered inside QuickWin. I wonder what changed in the project.

0 Kudos
Roberts__Raymond
Beginner

I wish I know. I am using VS2017 as my IDE and all I can think of is that somewhere a compiler switch I missed got thrown. I checked and did not see one, maybe I missed one. I should copied the old project file and run a windiff comparison on it, I did not. Lesson learned, "always keep the problem". I just never thought it would be the project file, I have all the source files, and other projects did not have this problem. I should of known better, I am not new at this, backup the whole project.

Steve the fortran world and in particular the intel fortran world are very appreciative that you are still willing to help us, I know I am!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Thanks for the kind words.

0 Kudos